Posts by LNW

I used moistening syrup once and I was so disappointed I’ve never used them again. I made the Valentine’s Day Cake from Wedding Cakes You Can Make by Dede Wilson (she uses syrups on all the cakes in that book if I remember right). It was syrup that used crème de cacao. I followed the recipe to a T. The cake was for a huge Valentine’s Day party at a country club for my dh’s work. I was really honored they’d asked me to make the cake instead of having the chef at the...
When I do cupcake cakes I always bake individual cupcakes then ice them to the board I plan to use and crowd them all together real close. Then I use my big icing tip (one of the only times I ever use that thing) and run long lines of icing down each row of cupcakes. I use my angled spatula to ice them all together and a Viva to get it all smooth and even. Then I decorate like I would a normal cake. I've never tried to bake the cupcakes together like a big cake. I...
I used to guard my vegan cake recipes like they were my children. I built them from the ground up and it took a very long time and a lot of experimenting to get them right. It felt wrong to just give them away. So instead I traded recipes. I got an awesome cheesecake recipe from a baker here who owns/ed a cheesecake only business. It is now my default cheesecake recipe and all others I’ve tried fail in comparison to hers. I’m very happy with my trade. Even if I did...
I was thinking the same thing when I read the OP lol. If she is a member and is following this thread I hope she's ashamed of herself. Really that's lame. I know it's usually the baker who gets taken advantage of, big time. I feel bad for this customer.
Even half a refund is silly, $125.00 for a cake that looks NOTHING like what was ordered and didn't feed half the guests there. I would have wanted everything back minus the $40.00 she spent buying that cake from the grocery store (if I was in a good mood anyways). PLEASE make sure your friend reviews this baker on whatever websites she can so others won't be tricked by her too.Oh and that was super nice of you to bake some cupcakes for her Your a good friend.
My little sisters wedding cake (made by her BFF who had no idea about cake decorating, she just picked up a Wilton Yearbook and followed the directions) melted into a puddle. It was awful to begin with but after sitting in the hot July sun for an hour the fondant just melted into a big puddle of ooze.I felt bad for her. But that's the only time I've ever seen a cake melt.
ITA. She sounds totally reasonable to me. I’m not a fan of SMBC; I don’t like icing period honestly. But if I were going to eat cake (which I don’t like either lol) I would want something similar to American style buttercream. It’s what I’m used to. I think it’s awesome she came back to you for another cake. That speaks volumes about your decorating abilities! She didn’t like the taste of the cake, called it inedible, but it’s was so freaking beautiful she just had...
This. I don’t own a bakery but we have rental business and we’ve had to evict renters (doing two evictions this month actually). We always call the renters and speak with them about the issue but we also send a certified letter as well. Gotta have a paper trail. I realize my situation is much different (legalities and all) but anyone can claim they never heard from you (as some of our past tenants have claimed) but when you send a certified letter AND call them there...
Well first of all she sounds like a nut. You probably wouldn't want her as a client anyways. Secondly, I can see her point. I have some family members who like to post those E-Card pictures that say things in a sneaky enough way that they aren't singling the person they are aiming it at out but still they are making a point. Then when they get called on it “HEY?!? Was that directed at ME???” The OP can say, “Nooooo I was just putting that out there for everyone.” ...
Like everyone else has said, I wouldn't do this design for your friends wedding. Not that I think your skills stink (you've got a lot of lovely cakes in your gallery) but this is a hard design, harder than anything you've got in your gallery. I would ask her if she would be okay with round cakes instead of square. Have you ever tried to fondant a square cake? Talk about headaches. This design in rounds would still look awesome and I think you could totally pull it...