Posts by LNW

I agree with the others. She’s probably seeing things everywhere that look SO COOL and wants it all to fit in her wedding. I’m helping my soon to be SIL with her wedding. I’m baking the cakes but I’m also helping make decorations and doing the set-up of the tables and decorating them too. Her theme hasn’t changed but the cake design has changed more time than I can count and everyday that I talk to her she’s had a friend show her this or she saw that online etc etc. ...
Fighting off polar bears with your loose leaf notebook… Oh wait, that was how my mom used to describe her walk to school each morning.
Southerncross you are on a roll today That baby is adorable.All my kids had smash cakes that I made for their birthdays. I can't think of a single 1st birthday party I've ever attended and there wasn't one. Wal-Mart gives you one for free if you order your kid's 1st birthday cake from them. The only beef I have with smash cakes is the clean up afterwards. Unless they aren't my kids, then I encourage them to rub cake and icing in their hair Trash the dress is a...
I know! You can just imagine what that cake tasted like lol.
Any update?
I’ve always used straws. I just cut them a little shorter than the tier and stick them into the cake. Sometimes if the decoration at the end of the wire is really heavy and the wires start to swing around and move a lot I’ll pull the straws out, squeeze the cake out and then reinsert in the cake. Then I fill the straws a bit with royal icing, put in the wires and let it sit until the icing has hardened. That usually keeps the wires from moving around. I try not to use...
I used moistening syrup once and I was so disappointed I’ve never used them again. I made the Valentine’s Day Cake from Wedding Cakes You Can Make by Dede Wilson (she uses syrups on all the cakes in that book if I remember right). It was syrup that used crème de cacao. I followed the recipe to a T. The cake was for a huge Valentine’s Day party at a country club for my dh’s work. I was really honored they’d asked me to make the cake instead of having the chef at the...
When I do cupcake cakes I always bake individual cupcakes then ice them to the board I plan to use and crowd them all together real close. Then I use my big icing tip (one of the only times I ever use that thing) and run long lines of icing down each row of cupcakes. I use my angled spatula to ice them all together and a Viva to get it all smooth and even. Then I decorate like I would a normal cake. I've never tried to bake the cupcakes together like a big cake. I...
I used to guard my vegan cake recipes like they were my children. I built them from the ground up and it took a very long time and a lot of experimenting to get them right. It felt wrong to just give them away. So instead I traded recipes. I got an awesome cheesecake recipe from a baker here who owns/ed a cheesecake only business. It is now my default cheesecake recipe and all others I’ve tried fail in comparison to hers. I’m very happy with my trade. Even if I did...
I was thinking the same thing when I read the OP lol. If she is a member and is following this thread I hope she's ashamed of herself. Really that's lame. I know it's usually the baker who gets taken advantage of, big time. I feel bad for this customer.