Posts by LNW

I have when I used straight white cake mix. I’m not a big fan of white cake from a mix because it’s too “fluffy” and tastes weird. BUT when I doctor it up it tastes alright (no matter what you add to it the cake will still have that cake mix flavor in the background) and is a lot more stable. If I don’t doctor it up it’s really fluffy and not very firm. I’d be afraid to use something like that in a tiered cake; I could totally see it imploding. I prefer to use my...
Does anyone know what brand of fondant and buttercream they use in the shop?
It is such a lovely cake. I’ve noticed the more I put into a cake the less I’m happy with it in the end. Something simple that I threw together in no time is worthy of bragging rights and something I spent days constructing doesn’t even go into my portfolio lol. Once again Ocean said exactly what I was thinking. You were way too hard on yourself about this one, it’s amazing, really. I have an airplane cake in my photos that I stressed over for days and absolutely...
If someone is asking for opinions then I give mine. It might be positive or negative but I’ll be sure to word it properly as to not hurt the feelings of the original poster. But I’m not going to lie. I’ve seen a lot of these “ego booster” threads and frankly I don’t care for them, generally because I don’t notice I’m posting on one until its too late. I’m sure it’s because my home away from home on the internet is a debate board where your brutal honesty is expected at...
I would definitely ask them ahead of time. My husband is a network administrator for a security company and he had to sign a contract that states he won’t do any kind of computer work for profit outside of the business nor anything security related or he’s in breech of contract and they WILL sue. Most companies I’ve worked for were the same exact way. But this place may be different though I doubt it. If they specialize in cakes why in the world would they want their...
First of all I have to commend you for keeping your cool. I’d have been LIVID if that happened to me and completely embarrassed that I had fed that junk to my family and friends. You attitude about his whole situation is wonderful and this decorator is very lucky to be dealing with you.As for the cake I don’t think you’ll have any problem convincing her she messed up. I think it’s abundantly clear from the amount of icing she used on the cakes that she knew something...
I start with a base price as well. $2 for BC, $3 for fondant. I’ve just stopped trying to charge extra for fillings. It’s such a mess to try and figure it all out so I don’t even attempt to anymore. UNLESS it’s an expensive filling, something like tiramisu (that mascarpone cheese is ridiculously expensive) or a filling that contains alcohol or out of season fruits that are hard to find and cost a lot etc. Otherwise I just throw it in there. Same with my cakes. I...
The issue is I was able to make it once, my very first time amazingly and it turned out perfect. Every. Single. Time. afterwards it's turned out awful. I follow the recipe to a T (the one from the tutorial from this website) and every time it's dry, hard and I can't even kneed color into it much less roll it out and use it. The Spongebob cake I made last week was supposed to be covered in MMF but I couldn't get it to come out right. I made it twice and it was hard and...
Have you put your party stand together yet? I used my 50% off to get the same stand, then ran over to Hobby Lobby and got the porcelain cake platter. I always open my stuff up and put it together to make sure it all works and isn't broken. One of the legs for my party platter seems to be missing the little notches on the sides that keep it from slipping down through the holes on the base. I was wondering if your stand did the same thing, maybe I just didn't put it...
I was doing the same search and found that most cake decorators recomend the same two KopyKake airbrushes. For me personally the KromaJet would be fine. I'd like to have the airmaster though because you can adjust the pressure but it is quite a bit more and I'm having a hard enough time convincing my dh to buy me the KromaJet for Christmas.