Posts by LNW

I have a family/friend discount. They pay for cost of ingredients and nothing more. They usually round it up $10-20 dollars though. However, they get zero creative control over the cake. I make whatever I want to make. They can suggest things, like the party theme is xyz or here is a napkin from the party supplies, could the cake have some of those elements on it. I let them pick a basic flavor for the cake, chocolate or vanilla, and then I take it from there. So...
Oh Jason is part of the cake police He’s just not one of the more annoying ones. Well to me anyways. He always seems to be pretty nice about it. There are some who would disagree with me though I always enjoy it when they all get together on the same thread. Probably more than I should.When I first joined the only time the legality question ever came up was when a member specifically asked about it. Otherwise if someone asked a pricing or business question they...
Great posts Gator and Blue.
This is the best thread I've read here in a long time Now someone will come along and pick a fight with Jason for being a know-it-all ( I don't think your a know-it-all Jason, you just seem to have a fan club who likes to follow you around here and do that) and some of the more vocal legal bakers will flip out about illegal home bakers being the devil and totally ruin our fun Jason's idea sounds good but I would be worried that anoyone who wasn't a legal baker...
Yuck what a mess I'm glad you were able to get it done but I feel for you having to go through all that. Back in 2007 we had an ice storm here. We lost power for 15 days. After that we bought a generator that stays connected to the house. When our power goes out it comes on. If you experience this sort of thing often enough you should look into getting one. I live in tornado alley so if the power isn’t going off because of the ice in the winter it’s out because...
I don’t think I’m a cake snob. There is cake I like and cake I don’t. I don’t like Wal-Mart or Pricecutter’s cakes. They are very dry and the icing they use is nasty. I’ve had a slice of wedding cake from a VERY popular bakery in the city that was horrid. The cake looked beautiful but it tasted terrible. And I’ve told the story about the entire 5 tier wedding cake that was thrown out because none of the guests would eat it. Also from a very upscale bakery. I used...
We always use matte. We think it looks better. We have cards for our real-estate business and our technology consulting business. Our technology cards have all my dh’s Microsoft and CompTIA certifications on them and their logos (which are pretty tame) but the company who designed our cards printed all those texts glossy and raised up off the cards. It looks really neat. We don’t have a logo for our real-estate business, it’s more of a “here’s how to get in touch with...
Ooooo I like your site. I love how you've got your gallery set up, with all the pictures right there and I can click on one and it pops up in it's own picture box. I hate it when I have to scroll through some slide show or I can only see one cake at a time. I like being able to see them all at once and pick which one I'd like to see up close. I don't do cakes at your level so I probably don't have much to offer as far as professional pictures go. But what I did was...
Your cake is BEAUTIFUL!!! I can see the cracks but really that isn't what I'd call a ruined cake by any means. I do what TR suggested and stack when I get to my destination. I've read way too many horror stories on here to try and deliver a totally assembled cake.
I have a couple of cookbooks (new ones, not a million years old, passed down from granny ones ) that say adding cornstarch to AP flour is a sub for cake flour. So that's probably why so many people do it. Until this thread I had no idea it wasn't the same thing I can find cake flour everywhere, of course I live in the US. What I can't find is bread flour. I use AP instead but I'm sure I'm not getting as good a texture as I would if I had the right flour.