Posts by LNW

Wow Annabakes. I've had mastitis three times and I felt like I was seriously going to die all three times. I'm in awe that you were able to finish your cake. I couldn't even drag myself out of bed to go pee let alone ice and decorate a cake.
I’ve had golden raisins in carrot cake before. Some of the UK bakers on here could really help you out with this.That’s really nice of you to make him his very own cake I bet he'll love that. And as someone who hates raisins it's very nice of you to make a non-raisin contaminated cake too
In the colder months I use the Buttercream Dream recipe from this website. In the hot summer months, I’m still figuring that out lol. The Buttercream Dream recipe does not hold up to our heat and humidity. So for right now I’m using the Wilton recipe until I can find something that can handle our weather. It’s just too darn hot for an all butter recipe. Even too hot for a half a butter recipe Everyone would tell you that my butter recipe is the best. It feels...
I can’t sculpt figures that look any good so I almost always use plastic. Actually I usually buy a candle that matches the cake theme and put that on the cake but here lately I’ve been going with toys more often. The kids like them more.One time someone here posted a picture of a cake she’d done for a teen. It had this cute little picture holder as the topper with pictures of the birthday girl, starting as a baby and then ending with her now. It was really sweet. Your...
I’m actually a much better artist with other mediums then I am with cake. It’s just that cake is so much more of a challenge with the time constraints then clay or paint and I like that. And my family appreciates when I spend hours working on a cake because they get to eat it afterwards. A painting just hangs on the wall and the bowl sits on the counter collecting dust or if its lucky chocolate candies And they don’t appreciate the time I put into those things.I have...
I second Doug, he's awesome. I've got a round and square wedding cake template he put together for someone else a million years ago saved on my computer. When I'm planning out a cake design I print one of those off and sketch in the details I'm thinking of in the colors I'm considering etc. I think the hardest part of doing the sketch is actually drawing the cake form itself. If it makes you feel any better I have a degree in Art History and took a gazillion art...
I have a family/friend discount. They pay for cost of ingredients and nothing more. They usually round it up $10-20 dollars though. However, they get zero creative control over the cake. I make whatever I want to make. They can suggest things, like the party theme is xyz or here is a napkin from the party supplies, could the cake have some of those elements on it. I let them pick a basic flavor for the cake, chocolate or vanilla, and then I take it from there. So...
Oh Jason is part of the cake police He’s just not one of the more annoying ones. Well to me anyways. He always seems to be pretty nice about it. There are some who would disagree with me though I always enjoy it when they all get together on the same thread. Probably more than I should.When I first joined the only time the legality question ever came up was when a member specifically asked about it. Otherwise if someone asked a pricing or business question they...
Great posts Gator and Blue.
This is the best thread I've read here in a long time Now someone will come along and pick a fight with Jason for being a know-it-all ( I don't think your a know-it-all Jason, you just seem to have a fan club who likes to follow you around here and do that) and some of the more vocal legal bakers will flip out about illegal home bakers being the devil and totally ruin our fun Jason's idea sounds good but I would be worried that anoyone who wasn't a legal baker...