Posts by LNW

Honestly I actually enjoy looking at cakes like that   It highlights your talents in being able to make all kinds of crazy stuff AND the cakes are so funny lol.  I've seen a lot of them pop up in the pictures on the main page and I always giggle   I don't think they make you look bad as a cake artist, if anything it shows the diversity of your skills.  And now you have a crazy cake for your portfolio and a funny story to go behind it. 
Have I mentioned how AWESOME you are???  Test batch #1 going into the oven soon :D
Buttermilk then?  And leave out the acid? I made the full recipe because I was teaching a 4-H cake decorating class and was showing the girls how to torte, fill, crumb coat and final ice a cake and I thought hey why not?  Lets try that new recipe again.  I ended running to the grocery store to buy some mixes instead.   I really like this recipe.  But could it have to be made just the way it is for it to work?  I don't mind playing around with it.  We raise chickens so I...
I tried again. I replaced the OJ with water and added 1tsp lemon juice (I was out of white vinegar and didn't think rice or red wine vinegar would work here ). Everything else I kept the same. The cake came out crumbly. It tastes amazing and is really moist but I couldn't ever make anything with this, like ice and decorate it. It fell apart when I removed it from the pans. It has so many eggs I can't imagine why it was all crumbly ? Any ideas?
You ladies are awesome! I'll make it again using water for the OJ and some vinegar for the acid. I worried about the acid in the juice having an affect on the cake. I have the best buttermilk biscuit recipe and when I tried to make them using regular milk they weren't anywhere close to as good. I attributed the flop to the lack in acid since I used regular milk but again, I don't get the science behind baking Would 1 TBSP be enough? Should I use all purpose flour...
For New Years I decided to go all in with the "lucky foods." I've never done that before, we don't have any traditions for that day besides staying up late.   Anyways, I googled traditional New Years foods and found all kinds of stuff including something called a vasilopita cake.  It's a traditional Greek cake for New Years and the recipe reminded me of one I use to make orange marmalade cake.  Except minus some very tedious steps...   Anyways, I made the cake and it...
I am a 4-H project leader (cake decorating) and I've been the 4-H cake decorating judge in the past. Those ribbons are super nice and look nice next to your cake . Also brag rights are pretty nice too! All of the 4-H cakes in my state are dummies, not real cake. It's different in every state though and for each fair too. If you could just decorate a dummy that would be awesome exposure for you. Having said ALL that...I, personally, HATE when professionals enter into...
Wow!!! I always wondered how decorators got that neat pattern 😃. Thanks for sharing the video
I have the measuring spoon and it's awesome.  Found one almost like it at Bed Bath and Beyond only it's stainless steel and my PC one is plastic.  I like the steel one better.  I think it was more expensive though. I absolutely LOVE the easy conversions magnet.  I ALWAYS forget how many TBSPs are in this or how many cups are in that and this thing says it all.  On one side it tells you how to dbl, triple a measurement and on the other side it just tells you 1 cup = xyz...
ITA.  Dry cake, no one would even touch it.  You ask for a slice to investigate the issue and suddenly they've thrown the whole thing away, you know because it was so totally inedible.  Excuse after excuse after excuse until you finally give in.  Or ignore them. I missed that this was cake for a 14yo boy.  My son is only 6yo but I have a teenage daughter and she is the kitchen table nibbler.  If you don't watch your plate she'll steal it, whatever it is.  Even if you've...