Posts by cakesoncall

I have BC french vanilla and milk chocolate on hand--they have the same ingredients, so I'm sure it's the same for white also...1 1/4 c water1/3 c vegetable oil3 eggsI always use 2% milk in place of the water and melter butter in place of the oil. I'm sure the white mix would say to use only the egg whites, but I would use the whole egg anyway.
How about g√Ęteau faux? Literally means fake cake in French (they put the adjective after the noun). It even rhymes. I'm curious as to what has happened...wonder what time it is where the OP is located?
For the how long question I usually give a rough estimate of hours, but I don't go into detail about anything. For the "how did you" do it question, I say "very carefully." That usually shuts them up.
Love the flowers and the celtic oreos! I guess I'm gonna have to jump on the bandwagon and order some molds too...I've been itching to try something new.
I think thinned royal icing will be the easiest and quickest way to go. I've used that trick countless times, and it can be done waaaay in advance as long as you have someplace to store the pillars and plates. Like the other poster said, though, it may take a couple of coats, but this is still cheaper than fondant. (another suggestion a little off topic...make sure you put something between the tiers since you're using 5" pillars--like flowers or tulle puffs or...
I've seen it a couple of times. I think it's kinda boring myself...and the woman that does it is annoying (and really not even that good). The other woman just fawns over her...ugh, I guess the whole show just rubs me the wrong way. But obviously it works for enough people or it wouldn't still be airing. Just not my cup of tea.
OMG! I am fuming mad for you! I cannot believe the nerve of some people. No wonder kids these days are little hellions when they have adults like that showing them how to behave. Burns me up!Thank God I haven't had to deal with a situation like this yet, but I'm prepared just in case. On my contract, I list the replacement cost of rented items at at least 15% mark-up over the retail price (PLUS tax) that I would pay in a store or online. Sometimes I mark it up even more...
If you can't find the exact sizes you need (or they're too expensive b/c of having to custom order), you can combine smaller dummies to get the size. For instance, I needed an 18" square for a wedding last year. It was cheaper (especially after shipping costs) to order a 12" square and 3 6" squares to arrange into an 18" square. Then I just taped them together, wrapped in saran, and iced them. This also gives you more variety of dummies for future use. I would also use...
I'm not one to usually post something that might become an issue, but I have to say something here. When I worked retail (and it wasn't a Michael's or anything like that), it burned me up when customers would call and want to know if we had a certain item, how much it was, is there a coupon for it, blah, blah, blah. It got so bad with just a few different customers calling that our manager acutally told us to put the person on hold and conveniently "forget" about them. The...
That's what I'm wondering. So instead...what if, after decorating the cookies and letting them set up, you put a fresh dollop of BC on each one, stack as desired, and then push a sharpened dowel down through the tree. Then you could put the star on top to hide the hole--or do a built-up pull-out star type of thing to make a tree top. I might try it that way to avoid the royal icing. Seems like that would make it more sturdy to transport too.