Posts by tal

Just wanted to say "thank you" to all those on this thread that helped and gave their advice/recipes. Ive posted the final pic and wanted to share with you. I have to say that costumeczar's sugar recipe was the best! It was the only one out of 4 different recipes that worked and the sugar piece didnt melt. It formed well, went sticky and then dried!
Thank you so much !  I'm going to attempt it one more time.  What is interesting is how much corn syrup most of these recipes are calling for?  I never realized the purpose of the CS but it makes perfect sense that more of it, softens.   I'm just too much of a perfectionist and trying to get that 'look' of clear beer pouring.  I am by NO means a sugar artist!  BTW, your cake is fantastic and your dowel idea will be my attempt.  What size dowel did you use?  Plastic or...
Here is the recipe:   2 C granulated sugar 1 C water 1/2 tsp cream of tartar 2/3 C corn syrup 1/8 tsp gel food color 2 tsp flavor extract (I didn't use this)   Instructs are similar to all other instructs....water/sugar to boil til dissolved.   Add therm/brush sides down with brush.  Add syrup and cream of tartar when reaches 285F.  Cook to 305.  remove and let bubble subside. plunge pan in cold water for 10 secs.  pour onto silpat.
Here is one recipe I tried first (FoodNetwork)   Ingredients 1 1/2 cups cold water 4 1/2 cups sugar 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar 1 teaspoon black food coloring Special Equipment: candy thermometer, pastry brush, silpat mat or marble, metal cookie cutters or cake ring to act as a mold Directions Clip a candy thermometer to the side of a medium, heavy pot. Place water, sugar and cream of tartar in pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a...
I will give you the recipe this afternoon.....I think I found it on CC but let me double check and get back to you.   I'm on a crunch time here bc the cake is due this coming Sat July 19th and all I need is a 4-6 piece of what resembles beer pouring out of a can!   If you can help me with regards to the recipe, I would SO appreciate same!  Be in touch soon!   thank you,  
All I am trying to do is get the look of "pouring" beer for a beer mug cake request.  I'm not at all pleased with the outcome of any of the pieces I've tried to form and now they are sticky and some are melting - even in AC!   I really don't want to have to resort to using fondant bc I like the realistic look of the clear sugar.  At this point, I wish I knew someone who could do it for me and I'd gladly pay!
oh wait, does it matter if I use gel coloring vs candy coloring?
Yes I did - but literally just a pin drop of gel.  Would that still effect it?
it hasn't been too humid and it has been breezy; I am clueless on this one.  I may just have to pull a last minute candy pull - arghhh!   Thanks!
I have made pulled sugar, all the correct temps and have had AC turned on, but my candy will not dry.  Still sticky.  As of this morning, I noticed some of the pieces were actually melting )';   Any advice?