Posts by AnnieCahill

Yep!
If they are younger I would stick to what you know kids like.  Chocolate, vanilla, funfetti, something "non-offensive" haha.    You can decorate cupcakes however you want.  You can use any buttercream...Italian meringue (with or without the butter-without will basically taste like a marshmallow), Swiss meringue (which is basically the same, just prepared differently), French buttercream, "American" style with butter and powdered sugar, etc.  You can even use poured...
gemmal, I use a very basic recipe with no raisins, nuts, pineapple, or coconut in the batter.  I do use nuts but only on the outside.  I caramelize them with vanilla and spices and grind them in a food processor to make a praline crust.  If I have to decorate it then I will add toasted pecans to the batter.  I grate mine larger.  You're right that grating them small makes the cake mushy.
White almond sour cream cake.    Have you thought about just giving up on the RLB recipe and trying something different?  There are TONS of better cakes out there that don't involve pulling your hair out and tweaking 75,000 times to get right.
This is the recipe I found.  Is this the one you used?   http://www.marthastewart.com/897987/classic-yellow-cake-batter
I guess we just get some rogue threads around here sometimes...maybe on days when there's a full moon or something LOL.   I'm with you about the classes.  I'm sure she'd shut up really quick if she knew she had to fork out cash to get the tips and tricks!
Ok I just glanced at the recipe.  The reviews are hit or miss.  Here are my tips:   I always weigh my flour and sugar.  That recipe uses the spoon and level method for measuring, so what they did was spoon it into the measuring cup and then sweep the excess off the top.    Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature.  Butter shouldn't be too soft or too hard.  It should be bendable if that makes sense.  The recipe says your thumb should leave an imprint and that...
I haven't looked at the recipe yet, but I can tell you that many of us don't have luck with MS recipes.  I use her red velvet recipe and that's about it.  There have been lots of threads on here about how some of her recipes don't turn out well.   Is this happening with only this recipe or with others you've tried?  I'm going to take a look at it...
Careful...you might get called self-righteous, creepy, and controlling. 
Could be several things...the way you're measuring the ingredients, your mixing method, your oven temperature could be off, you could be baking it too long, etc.    Can you post the recipe?