Posts by AnnieCahill

If you reduce the sugar in Indy's recipe it won't have the same consistency.  That's what makes her recipe crust so well, because there's so much powdered sugar in it.  I would also use salted butter and add some salt.
They are fillings that come in a long plastic pouch.  I haven't liked the ones I've tried, although I think some brands are better than others.
Anything all butter will be fine for a few days at room temp.  To keep it from crusting, just reduce the sugar (believe me it will still be sweet) and then add some warm whipping cream to it.  I do this all the time for my cupcakes.
My most popular of all time is cookies & cream.  All I do is take a ton of Oreos, break them up into pieces, and put in some buttercream to form a thick filling.  The cookies absorb the moisture from the buttercream and get nice and soft.  I use this filling with either chocolate or vanilla.  You can really do it with any kind of cookie.  Last year for my grandma's birthday I did chocolate chip cookies instead of Oreos.  I also do a peanut butter cup filling for chocolate...
You can go ahead and start baking now.  Freeze the layers.  You can also make your buttercream now too and freeze it as well.  Then the day before the wedding, get everything as assembled as you can, then stack it the morning of the wedding.
I only add the tiniest amount of Crisco (like 1/2 cup) and fridge the cake if it's going to be outside.  Of course it depends on your climate, but for me this was enough to last in 80 ish degree weather.  You might need to use more if it's hotter where you are.  The only way is to try it to be sure.
You can add a small amount of shortening to your SMBC to keep it heat-stable.  Gretchen from Woodland Bakery uses SMBC and her recipe uses shortening and butter.  I'd recommend high ratio shortening over Crisco though.
Based on reading that other thread, it sounded like things started a little rough.  That's why I said don't be afraid to turn down stuff that's beyond your capabilities.  Someone asked me for a carved Nemo cake last year.  I said no way.  I don't do carved cakes because I think I'd butcher them.  After 15 years of baking I know what my limitations are.  But given the questions on the other thread, it sounded like she was in over her head to begin with.  Pricing was...
I should have made that more clear.  As the OP is probably not running a legit home business, I just wanted to start with the basics since she was talking about what she spent personally on ingredients.    Obviously one would want to do the research regarding competition, market, etc., and of course take into consideration any overhead.   Perhaps OP would find some entry level business classes beneficial?
Why would you accept an official "order" if you don't know how to price?  You can't just pull an arbitrary number out of the sky and hit the kitchen.  That taps into your personal budget.  It would be in your best interest to research how to price your cakes so this doesn't happen in the future.  Also, if something is outside your skill level then don't be afraid to say so.  Otherwise you create a ton of stress for yourself and potentially upset the customer.   As an...