Posts by grammysusan

My (adult) daughter and I just finished the level 1 course so we've only made about 4 cakes up to this point. Tonight we made a pumpkin cake and when it came to adding the eyes, nose and mouth we didn't know what to do first. Should we have piped the features in first then frosted the rest of the cake? Should we have frosted the cake first THEN done the eyes, nose and mouth? The cake turned out really cute but we weren't completely happy with the eyes, nose and mouth...
I just bought a wonder mold pan to make a doll cake for my granddaughter, then I got to wondering how it should be cut for serving, then I got to wondering if people actually ate the cake or just used it as a centerpiece and had another one on standby to consume. Any thoughts or experience with the wonder mold?
I'm brand new at decorating - just took the first Wilton class. I'm looking for decorating ideas using flowers and borders (no kids cartoon stuff!) but NOT ready for fondant! I've purchased 4 or 5 of the latest Wilton yearbooks but they seem to be stuffed with kids theme cakes and fondant ideas. Where can I find some good books with traditional designs; birthday congrats, anniversary, etc.? Thank you!