Posts by radtech

Thank you! I'm learning so much from everyone on CC- you are all amazing
I agree, dry cocoa powder works well. if you look at my baseball cake you can see how the shading turned out on my fondant.
I made this exact cake 2 years ago and it couldn't be easier.  Cover your tiers with the buttercream of your choice and cover with coarse sugar,  just take handfuls of sugar and gently press the sugar on the sides and tops of your tiers- I used the Wilton brand and it worked great.  I used Swiss buttercream but I would guess that if you use a crusting buttercream you would have to apply the sugar soon after you frost to make sure it sticks.   I added the sugar before...
Do you have a Michaels near you for balck candy melts?  They usually have black at this time of year-before Holloween.
In my opinion you can't beat IMBC or SMBC but if you don't like that much of a buttery taste consider replacing some of the butter with shortening.
Thanks Ladies!   I am waiting to fill and stack until Thursday evening and will probably pull an all nighter!  That's the nature of the game isn't it  :)
I actually have to make a cake soon that has a gold metallic look to it.  I purchased Duff's gold spray from Michaels and tried it on a buttercream cake.  It was pretty with a nice metallic shine to it but I found it to be too yellow and not a true gold that I was looking for.  I ordered and just received a metallic spray from Americolor.  I haven't used it on a cake yet buy I sprayed it on a paper towel and the color is more the gold I am looking for.  Hope this helps.  I...
I have agreed to make a  wedding cake for this upcoming Saturday (Holiday weekend) and told the Bride I would make it if it could be delivered the day before the wedding which she did agreed to.  It is a  buttercream cake that will be able to be stored safely in one of the venues coolers until the reception.  I am wondering if it would ok if I began filling and crumbcoating my cakes Wednesday evening- frosting and stacking on Thursday with the delivery Friday morning?  I'm...
Italian buttercream.
I also agree with using cocoa powder.  That is what I used to get the aged look  on the baseball cake that I posted in my photos.  I used a dry bush to apply it!  Good Luck!