Posts by cakesbycathy

I think you are setting yourself up for problems.  You are going to get somebody who is going to give you a hard time about how  many fondant decorations they can get and so forth.   I usually donate a $25 gift certificate good towards the purchase of cake or cupcakes (minimum order of 2 dozen).   Info on the certificate includes: my contact info, including my website requires at least 2 weeks notice delivery not included subject to availability expiration date...
I'm saying this as gently as possible....get used to it. Most people DO NOT understand the amount of work that goes into making a cake like that.  They will never understand why they can't have the masterpiece they saw on Pintrest for the same price as a sheet cake at the grocery store.   You need to take a lot of time and research to figure out how to price appropriately.  But even when you do, you're also going to find there are plenty of bakers who will make that cake...
Ok your kid comes first.  End of story.  This isn't like he just has a cold or something.  He has a life-threatening injury that you need to move out of state to get treatment for.  Second, your husband is about to be deployed and leave with you 5 kids, one of whom needs serious medical attention.   Time to tell her you cannot make this cake.  You need to call her and explain what is happening.  Give her a full refund and the names of as many other decorators as you...
 I offer free delivery in my town only.  If you live outside my town I charge $1.75 per mile which I calculate using Mapquest.  I don't care if you live just 5 miles outside of my town, you pay for the entire mileage from my house to yours.  I do sometimes make exceptions for clients that live right on the border. 
Non-cake people have no concept of sizes.  They can't envision what a 12x12 square looks like.  In the future I would ask how many servings they need and whether they want round or square tiers and then tell them what size cake they need.   For example: Client tells me they want a cake for 20 people. I tell them an 8" round cake will serve 15-20 or a 9"round serves around 25.  I let them pick which one they want.  If the choose the 8" round they get charged for 20...
It's extra work to get all those colors so there should be an extra charge.
Good for you for turning down the cake made from the venue!!   I wouldn't offer to make anything for the cake.  People are not going to ask "who made the decorations?"  They are going to ask "who made the CAKE?"  How do you answer that?  If you say the venue, then you get no credit for the decorating.  If they say you did it and the cake tastes horrible, then your reputation takes a hit.   Stick with decorating only cakes you make yourself!
THIS!! Maybe your husband was not as supportive as you thought he'd be because he's only looking at it from a financial aspect.  He sees all the money you've invested in supplies and feels like you are not recouping your expenses.  Or maybe you used to ask him for spending money but once you started the cake business you stopped (I have no idea if that's true, just know that happens for many at-home cakers). I suspect your husband will be more supportive once he stops just...
Why does that even matter?
For a Sat cake: I shop sometime Mon- Wed.  Make frosting and fondant on Wed. Bake on Thurs morning. Fill and crumb coat Thurs night. Decorate Fri.  I do not go to bed until the cake is finished for the next day.  NO exceptions.  There have been plenty of nights where I did not sleep.   Honestly it sounds like you already have way too much going on to try and do this as a business.  Nothing will kill your reputation quicker than poor customer reviews and being late...