Posts by cakesbycathy

I'm glad you were able to come to a decision that you feel comfortable with. Given that your brother and his wife don't seem to have it all together I am going to suggest you give them one message with a cut off date that says you are willing to make the cake but all details need to be worked out by (insert date here).    I'm betting they have no idea they can't just message you the week before the wedding with what they want. They're not going to understand why you...
The customer is expecting to pay the price you quoted her.  It would be completely unprofessional to raise the price because you didn't charge enough.  You'll not only lose a customer, but the bad word of mouth will end up costing you even more. Chalk it up to a lesson learned
And for the Great Gatsby wedding... you need to call AND email AND text the client and tell her per her contract since she has not made her payment on time she is NOT getting a wedding cake.  Tell her she has forfeited her deposit and wish her luck finding another baker.  Offer her the chance to bring you the final payment in CASH within 24 hours.  And don't do ANY work until you get the money.
OP, She's yanking your chain and deep down you know it or your spidey sense wouldn't be going off like crazy.  She has every excuse in the book AND she wants you to drive the boyfriend to get money?  Frankly, that's the biggest load of BS I've heard in a long time.   Email her or call and tell her since she has not paid so she will not be getting a cake.  Just keep repeating it until she gets the message.  Honestly, even if she did bring you cash payment if full within...
Sometimes you need to cut the client loose.  I know you have done cakes for her in the past and have one coming up, and that you'd hate to lose a customer.  But you are in charge of your business and the client needs to respect that, even if they don't agree with you.   If she's being that insistent and you don't want to do the cake I would simply email her that while you love having her as a client you are not going to be able to make the cake and understand if she...
The SPS is really not expensive at all.  Maybe you are confusing it with the Stress Free support system?  That one IS costly.   Look for SPS at Country Kitchen Sweet Art  http://www.countrykitchensa.com/shop/cake-decorating-supplies/bakery-craft-round-square-plates-with/38/537/1170/
If the bride refuses to listen then I am returning her money and telling her she needs to find another decorator.  She's going to blame you when the cake melts, no matter how many times you tell her and no matter what you get her to sign.  Maybe that will shock her into listening...
I don't do anything other than ice them.  No border and minimal smoothing.  They are in the kitchen and not meant to be seen.  They are only there to provide enough servings.  I charge less per serving (like half)  than for the wedding cake since it takes me almost no time at all and very little work to do.
I only use SPS.
What kind of instruction did you give when you delivered it?  Did you tell her it shouldn't be outside for more than an hour?   I'm not giving a refund.  She left a perishable item (made of butter, no less!) outside in 100 degree temperatures.  Really, what did she expect?  I would tell her you feel badly but you cannot be responsible for the weather or her decision to keep the cake outside for so long.