Posts by cakesbycathy

I would do a dummy cake and sheet cakes.  Deliver both first thing in the morning.   IMO it's way too risky to deliver a real cake the night before.  There are so many things that could go wrong with that scenario.    I don't know how old your kids are but if you are all in the wedding that is a lot to do.  Unless you have someone else that's going to be completely responsible for getting them ready, having them be where they are supposed to, keeping an eye on them so...
You are still charging by the serving, just in a different way.   Let's say you charge $75 for a 9" round.  You can get about 25 servings out of that size cake. That's how much the industry standard says you are supposed to get out of the cake.  That's $3 per serving.  You're just not telling the client that.  If they cut bigger slices and get less servings that's fine.  If they cut smaller pieces and get more servings that's fine, too.  But you still have to know how...
You can't control the weather.  Honestly, I don't think there was anything else you could have done.  Other than decline the order in the first place.
I now require on all tiered cakes after a cake disaster that was definitely "pilot error."   I explain that tiered cakes are especially fragile and we want to make sure the cake arrives in one piece and since I have experience delivering the cakes it is something they don't have to worry about, etc.   I do try to be accommodating for their schedule as much as possible without making myself nuts.  If they don't want to pay for it I decline the order.
 This!
I know it's frustrating!  Most people have no idea what's involved in a custom cake.  They see all these fabulous cakes on Pintrest and figure $50 should be what it cost.   I think you are handling it the best you can.  You're asking up front about their budget and letting them know in a nice way you can't make the wow!  cake with their budget.   When they ask if you can make the sheet cake and they'll buy the toys I think really the only response you can give at that...
So what if the client HAD paid $250?   While I agree the cake is totally underpriced (and that could be a whole separate thread!), it doesn't matter.  The cake the client received is not like the cake the client wanted.  Do I think it's a nice cake?  Sure.  But it has some flaws and not just the color.  I still think the client got a steal at $100 (and really $40 after the refund) but in the end the client didn't get what she wanted and the decorator is responsible.
While I agree you can't copy another cake design exactly, in this case your cake did not really come close to her pic at all.  I can see why she was upset.  You did the right thing by refunding her the money.
Sorry I am trying to understand this but I am still confused...   Did you decorate a cake,  then freeze it, then take it out of the freezer and deliver it to the venue?   Did you freeze it, take it out of the freezer and decorate 4 hours before the wedding and then deliver?  If that's the case I am trying to figure out how/why you did this unless the decoration was super simple.  Even so, that seems awfully risky.    Either way, IMO you owe them some kind of a refund...
Had you already signed paperwork for being hired prior to the trial day?  If not, then they probably consider it part of the interview process.