Posts by dukeswalker

Thank you MB!  That little bit helped immensely.  I wasn't thinking "pound cake" because I've never added a leavening to mine.  But with your bit o' wisdom I was able to find the original recipe:   http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/mamas-pound-cake-recipe.html
Yee-haw!! Success!!! SOOO - Let it be known to all future cakers:  MMF with gum paste mixed in is A-OK in the fridge.     After this baby sat in the fridge all night I popped her straight into a heavily corrugated box, taped it up and slid the whole thing into my pre-cooled car.  Once we arrived and she was taken out of the box there was NO condensation, the ruffles were stiff, and the clients were super happy (I even got the "whoa.  Look at all the detail in the...
Awesome!  It is soooo yummy.  My kids were going nuts over them and I think they will be perfect to fill with some delicious caramel.   That was the issue I was having - too done outside not done enough center (with very little dome) - I'll try the 400/325 trick.
http://www.cakecentral.com/t/763926/in-need-of-a-dense-heavy-vanilla-cake-cupcake-recipe#post_7445738   I tried this recipe the other day and it was almost perfect. I was hoping to find where it oirginated to see if anyone else experienced the same things I did.  Any ideas? TIA :)
Well - the cake has been sitting in the fridge since last night.  Part of the problem with leaving it at room temp is our (Arizona) room temp is usually much higher then most.  We keep our a/c set at 80*F, when I'm working on a cake, it is set at 78*F.     I did put some ruffles in the fridge for several hours and then took them out to see how they would do.  They did soften when the came out but not enough to go droopy.  So, the pins I had in my cake to help the ruffles...
Make sure your support system is solid.  I prefer to use SPS for all stacked cakes (even small ones).  I also prefer to have all of my cakes stacked and ready to delivery before transporting.  Make sure that you use an extra strong cake base board (particle board, etc...) and bring someone with you to help carry it.  I also keep all toppers off of the cake until delivery just in case they were to fall over and break.  Good luck!
Yes, absolutely.  It's the only thing I feel comfortable transporting it in.  I usually attach an ice pack or two to the bottom, around the base of the cake - just to help keep it cool.
Oh boy - this is a "dig down deep and go with your gut" situation.  I'm very big on doing what you think is right, despite what the people around you are doing.  If you can make a decision and go to sleep that night feeling good about it - then it is the right thing to do.     Me?  I would make the cake.  I may not be invited, I may not get the thanks I was hoping for, but I would feel good about giving someone I love something made with love. What he chooses to do after...
Oh my gosh - that is SO cute!
I have another thread started but thought I would pop on over and say "hi!"    Are you guys somewhere where you deal with heat and humidity?  I'm in AZ and while I can handle the heat I don't know how to work with humidity (and really - its not THAT humid, 40%).  Everything stays sticky and soft.  Blah.   Last week I had this super cute baptism cake  - and I of course forgot to take a picture.  I was hoping the client would be kind enough to send one over but they were...