Posts by dukeswalker

The way I began baking cakes was the need for gluten free cakes within my own family/circle of friends (several members with sever gluten intolerance/celiac disease). On a multi tiered cake, the GF tier is always the top tier, separated by SPS that has been made just a wee too tall so that the GF cake never actually touches the other tiers of cake.  It is also the first tier to be taken apart and cut to ensure that there isn't any cross contamination. 
Fondant is going on this - for. sure.  I have made cakes in AZ for years but I haven't ever had one have to deal with the heat AND the sun....
I am creating a centerpiece cake for a large (3,000+ people/news/photos/etc) event at a local school celebration.  1/2 of the cake will be made of dummies but there will be three layers of actual cake.  The cake will spend 1+ hour in an area that will be facing the setting sun... in Arizona.  The projected temp will be about 107-110.  I will be keeping that baby chilled until *just* before it's time to set it up but I still worry about it being in the sun, at that...
This weekend, I had the opportunity to be at the party where my cake was being served.  There was a two tier cake: 1)chocolate cake, whipped ganache filling, Chocolate ABC; 2) white sour cream cake with strawberry ABC.  There were also some caramel filled yellow cupcakes topped with a salted caramel IMBC and caramel corn (they look CRAZY good).  By the end of the night the adults and kids were in the kitchen looking for cake scraps.  The cupcakes sat around half licked...
I stirred.    I stirred and stirred and stirred.    I decided to make a new batch and did not stir.  It is bee-u-ti-fullll.  
Hmmmm.... water & butter.  Very good point!   Sooo....I now have some really yummy, really watery caramel "sauce".  Any idea on how I can thicken it up to use as a filling?  I don't mind tossing it as it is just a trial run - but I h.a.t.e. totally wasting $$.
Further investigation...   "chunks of stuff" = chunks of crystallized sugar   "watery stuff" = thin caramel   Why would the sugar re-crystalize???
I was trying a new recipe today and the homemade caramel filling was a total disaster.  This is the recipe:http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/salted-caramel-cupcakes-with-pecan-coconut-brittle-crumble-and-caramel-swiss-buttercream-recipe.html (Only the caramel filling)   It seemed to take a really long time to come to an "amber" color and once it did, I turned off the heat and added the butter.  It bubbled like CRAZY and never totally incorporated.  I then added the...
Honestly, after about mile 3 of the dirt road, and the flooded wash, AND the COW nursing her calves it became comical!  I had my kids in the car and we were laughing at that point.  I had the cake snug inside a large box so I had NO idea what was happening in there - we were (half jokingly) creating an inspirational story about smashed cake, topped with a light that never dies, signifying the fight that never ever ends (or something like that...lol!) Moral of the story -...
My son and his gf have been a part of Relay for Life for the past 5 years.  They always ask for a cake to help celebrate the occasion for the Survivor's Dinner but the timing has always been off.  Finally, this year I was able to donate a cake.  The event was taking place 1.5 hours from my town and I left with plenty of time....   Until....   The freeeway was closed due to a car fire, in an area of the freeway that had NO frontage road.  SO - we hopped off at the 1st...