Posts by Stitches

Other sites aren't paying their moderators either. It's up to the website owners to show their appreciation for their work. Make it a badge of honor for people to become moderators/hosts. At eGullet they asked people they thought would be good moderators- to be them, they didn't wait for someone to volunteer. Heck, I never would have thought to just volunteer to be a moderator. Do you have a post somewhere on the site asking people to volunteer? What about dividing the...
I wrote what I did from experience. I was a moderator of the Pastry & Baking Forum at eGullet.com. They had a system and it worked quite well. People are not able to 'police' themselves, if so- society wouldn't have any police. Also there are people who volunteer to moderate for free (I did) and I'm sure there are quite a few people who would love to moderate here. It's far easier to change a few people than to change everyone's natural newbie behavior. Yes, trying to work...
In my opinion the easiest way to solve this issue (on all threads) is to reprimand the "regulars" who constantly get out of hand. I can think of 3 threads where the same person wrote the same response each time someone asked about pricing. Each time, that thread got nasty. For some reason the snarky posts are allowed. Shouldn't that be a moderators job to moderate the conversation? Perhaps you need more moderators to help out.   And moderators need to be people who are...
I believe in only using natural sun light, only.     If I can take something outside I can get the most perfect photographs. The sun gives the most brilliant full color spectrum that artificial lights just can't match.    But where I live it's cloudy probably 50% of the time so I have to shoot indoors. For that I've found my sliding glass door in my kitchen gives me the most even lighting of all the windows in my home. I put a sheet of white foam core on my kitchen...
I got the messages in question and even brought it up in a thread in the lounge. It never entered my mind that a regular/friend here would be behind that silly message. The fact that we all got the same message tells me a robot sent it and it wasn't personal...........and I'm one of the least computer knowledgeable people around here (but I do own common sense).   I'm have to agree that Fromscratch linking Jason to those messages isn't proper/nice at all! I don't like...
Another truth not mentioned by culinary schools is the age and *** discrimination that's prevalent in the food industry. I worked in professional kitchens for 20* years and I was always the only female in the kitchen. Sometimes they'd hire a young Spanish female but only to do cleaning, not food prep. It isn't a friendly atmosphere for females....as in many male chefs don't like to hire females and they don't like to promote them either.   The second biggest thing they...
 and how would someone do that?
I did understand her k8 and that's what would drive me to turning someone in. I get sick and tired of everyone cheating on everything. It hurts everyone! It raises the costs for the people who do pay for things in life.   I think people that will cheat on a big issue (being legal) will cheat on plenty of other big issues and it cumulatively really hurts our society. Those types of people never want to accept responsibility for their own actions and always have a personal...
The issues I have with illegal bakers is them not 'paying to play' like everyone else does. They don't pay sales tax or income tax on their earnings. They don't support/stimulate the economy by creating jobs, leasing property, buying equipment, etc... MANY, many industries have "barriers" of start-up costs much higher than food businesses. The food business entry costs are very low compared to other industries.   There are other things people can do to make money that...