Posts by Stitches

With-out printing out recipes and comparing ........is MBalaska's recipe is the one you use for vanilla cake Mimi? Is it the same as FSFS?
The place I'm currently using I found when I responded to a newbies question here. When I read their blog I found out they were renting kitchen space in my very own neighborhood. The business was struggling looking for more income to decrease their expenses. They are currently for sale so I'm looking again for a new home. My focus is looking for another struggling food business. It isn't fun changing kitchens, but it's a small sacrifice that gives me a reasonable rent. AND...
For the pale color of the flower barrel I'd start by using white candy melts to make my modeling chocolate. To that I might add the smallest pinch of ivory, yellow and black (just a pin pricks amount). You can also brush the finished barrel with dusts, which I think they did in your photo.
I'm sorry Mimi, I'm not looking for a "fight" or confrontation by any means. My point which I'm not so great at making is: no matter how you do the math (how little or how much volume you produce) using a kitchen that costs $25. per hour eats every penny of profit a baker can make. It doesn't matter if you work for 40 hours per week or 4 hours a week, the kitchen rental is too high for what a baker can produce and how much we get for our product. NOW a cater can bring in 3...
Perhaps you can show us how to make a profit (any which way for any amount of hours) from a $25.00 per hour kitchen?
Play around and do some math using that number as overhead. Keep in mind that over head number doesn't include your labor or insurance etc...   If you went at caking as a full time job $25. x 40 hours a week= that is $1000. per week in rent. Say you sell $2,000. in cakes per week. 1/2 your profits go to your rent, leaving you $1,000.       Can you generate 2,000 in sales?    $2,000. income                                                          -$1,000....
I think the foil cases keep the cake moister longer. But I also think they bake faster so you have to watch your baking time closer. If you under-bake them, they can get sticky moist sitting in the foil cups.
Great post K8
I don't recall the title of the thread, but there was a really good thread where a lot of us told our costs for vanilla and chocolate cakes....perhaps a search would bring that up for you.
Liz, how do you handle/package cookies that have buttercream on them?   I go the opposite way from everyone else. Because I sell wholesale I can't spend time decorating cookies so my main focus is taste before looks. I used a corn syrup glaze where I simply dunk my cookies into the glaze. Once that dries I pipe on simple royal designs. Costs on that kind of cookie runs about .20 cents tops, I do about 200 to 250 per day and I get around $1.50 per cookie.   Although I...