gjones Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 5:03pm
post #1 of

I have an icing recipe that calls for white sugar. I assume that is granulated sugar. Can I replace the granulated with powdered???? I hate the grittiness that the granulated seems to cause.

G icon_smile.gif

5 replies
bubblezmom Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 6:04pm
post #2 of

Any recipe with granulated sugar should require you to dissolve the sugar. Never should be gritty. hth

gjones Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 6:16pm
post #3 of

All it said to do was cream the butter, sugar and add vanilla. Maybe I should have just used powdered?? I just assumed "white sugar" meant granulated


SugarCreations Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 11:53pm
post #4 of

Thats all powdered sugar is granulated sugar that has been ground fine to a powder.

MissBaritone Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 6:14am
post #5 of

Creaming should help dissolve the sugar. I wouldn't use powdered because it's been ground so fine the amount needed would differ and it's quite complicated to work out amounts. If you really dislike granulated try castor sugar which is a finer grind than granulated but the amount needed will be the same

tripletmom Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 6:21am
post #6 of

Doesn't powdered sugar have corn starch added to it? Or is that what makes confectioners or icing sugar? I have always understood that these are used interchangeably and are all the same thing, just depends on where you are from...sort of like fondant and sugarpaste, same thing, different names.

Quote by @%username% on %date%