Crisco Alternative ?

Decorating By jules06 Updated 9 Feb 2007 , 1:23pm by sophie20033

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 17

I've noticed in a lot of buttercream recipes here on cc ,the ingredient crisco - we don't have that here,is there something similar i could use instead ? ( I normally work with fondant but I'd like to try the b/c )
thanks for your help icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 17

You can try Sweetex or Alpine--but you may have to order that.

And you could make straight buttercream using all butter, but on a day that isn't too hot.

THat's all I can think of...anyone else????

jules06 Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 17

Thanks mac - so the crisco stops it melting ?
I haven't heard of sweetex or alpine icon_sad.gif are they just different brand names ?
thanks again

julie icon_smile.gif

pinkyEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkyEm Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 17

Crisco is actually the brand name of shortening. I would think that whatever shortening you have there in Australia would work. It's just that some brands work better than others and Crisco is a popular brand that works well. (And it's easier to type Crisco, than shortening. icon_lol.gif ) The shortening does hold it's shape (for piping and whatnot) better on a warm/hot day. icon_smile.gif

jules06 Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 17

Thankyou Lisa icon_biggrin.gif
I'll have to see what's available ,so i can get stuck into that buttercream !
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

julie

pinkyEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkyEm Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 17

You're welcome! thumbs_up.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 17

Alpine and Sweetex are specially made for making frosting. Crisco can sometimes leave a shortening taste in your mouth. Alpine and Sweetex don't.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 17

Here is a link to an option for purchasing Crisco in Austalia--

http://www.usafoods.com.au/ Search crisco

It's about twice the cost of Crisco in the US.

Here is a reply from another website about the same issue:

"You can buy Crisco at David Jones Food Hall usually. It is expensive. There is no Australian equivalent ."

HTH
Rae

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 8:52pm
post #9 of 17

I just use butter. I hate the taste of the crisco buttercream.

BlakesCakes Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 17

In very hot and/or humid conditions, Crisco serves the purpose of having the buttercream hold up--and basically not melt right off of the cake, as an all butter buttercream will easily do if temps go above 80-85 degrees. It also helps in keeping definition in piped decorations---fewer blobby roses or smooshy shells. This can be a real problem for people with very warm hands--they may not even be able to get one decent rose piped with an all butter recipe because the icing is just too soft and "foamy".

I live in a pretty cool climate. We get very few days that go above 85 degrees, so if I'm making a decorator's buttercream, I usually use half butter (or even up to 3/4 butter). I also have the luxury (most of the time) of very cool hands. I don't make an all Crisco buttercream unless I'm certain that conditions (or the client themselves) call for it.

Rae

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 1:03am
post #11 of 17

hi Jule

I was told to use copha, then told not to by someone else as it tastes disgusting....so much confusion icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif Anyway, I PMed Nati (boonenati) as she is in Melb and makes awesome cakes....here is her advice:

"I have never used Crisco in my life. There are vegetable shortenings available in Australia that you can use in place of Crisco, there is no need to resort to using Copha, hehehe. Anyway if you go to a cake decorating store, you can get either Solite or Cream Cup which are exactly the same as margarine, but completely white, and dont need to be refrigerated. They are creaming shortenings.
They can be used in place of Crisco, the majority of my buttercream cakes were made using that. Although these days i prefer to make real butter buttercreams cause they are a LOT tastier : "

It was great advice ...I ended up making one with just unsalted butter and it worked! HTH thumbs_up.gif

jules06 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 6:32am
post #12 of 17

Thankyou everybody for your replies and really great advice ! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
I live in qld so it does get pretty warm and humid here and the couple of times i used just butter in my b/c it melted !! icon_cry.gif
I will try that website Rae, thanks and Torki thanks for your reply too

looked at all your photos - everybody does such beautiful work icon_biggrin.gif
thanks again guys , julie

csera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
csera Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 6:52am
post #13 of 17

Hi,

I'm from NSW, and I've found a place that sells crisco shortening online.

www.usafoods.com.au, they have 1lb and 3lb containers and I think they ship all over Australia.
I've tried all sorts of alternatives and nothing seems to work as well as the crisco.
Hope this helps.

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 6:58am
post #14 of 17

Hi, Julie.
I'm glad the info is helpful. Not to beat a dead horse, but here's some more info on why vegetable fat can be useful in baking, etc.

Crisco's melting point is about 98 - 110 degrees F. Butter begins to melt at 85 degrees . Stick margarine's melting point is usually close to butter's and it usually contains a significant percentage of water---so you can see how that might affect buttercream in a hotter environment.

Happy Baking!
Rae

Trem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trem Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 11:34am
post #15 of 17

Ok! I have got that problem sorted! I hope I am not too late for you.

I also searched around for Crisco or shortening suppliers here and spent forever looking. I have now got 15KG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! supplier boxes worth of stuff from an overseas distributor. (Luckily we own a business too so I was able to get pretty cheap compared to shop prices)

It is called Cream Cup, as previously mentioned by other posters before that shops in Aus sell in small tubs at a big price. I have looked into it and I have ordered the Tropical brand that is suitable for QLD and hot climates so that it won't run away with the heat. I am near off Mackay so it gets REAL hot and humid and butter just wouldn't work. It is supposed to be foolproof! and no need to add butter (just essenses) if wanted, and it also gets colours perfect.

So if you are still interested in needing some I could off load kg's worth if you wanted as long as you covered costs for me. I have also ****perfected**** icon_lol.gif a close call on using COPHA (a wannabe sort of US buttercream icing) if you need that recipe too and would rather that. It doesn't taste oily, it tastes great! Who says it couldn't be done!

Now I have a problem. I don't know how to make a cake! I have got recipes, books you name it, but I can't seem to make one that tastes half decent. I was hoping for a mixture to put in a novelty wilton cake pan, roughly tasting like a Mc Donalds McCafe one. Too much to ask to get that right maybe?!

Anyway, you are welcome to email me on [email protected]

Thanks Tren

jules06 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 1:23pm
post #16 of 17

I'm so glad I asked about crisco - you have all been extremely helpful icon_biggrin.gif
csera,rae & tren - thankyou very much and tren i will be emailing you soon about getting some crisco & that recipe from you !! thumbs_up.gif

thanks again icon_lol.gif
julie

sophie20033 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sophie20033 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 1:23pm
post #17 of 17

Oh man! talk about crisco - i just found out my baking store isn't supplying crisco anymore coz they mumbled about the trans fat issue. i live in a hot/humid place and like everybody's said - i need to use a crisco buttercream recipe!! Personally i'm not too enthusiastic using crisco ( with meringue powder) but it does the job. Pipes well, colors well, no refridgeration, good storage life.
i just tried their house brand of shortening with my normal recipe...and i tell you what, i was scraping the stuff off my tongue! icon_cry.gif
i might as well just my tell my customers i'm doing fondant only!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%