Showthis To Cheap Brides

Decorating By JanH Updated 4 Feb 2013 , 5:52pm by IndyTiff

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 9:43pm
post #91 of 167

I don't think anyone called anyone immature. At least going back over this thread, I couldn't find those words thrown out. Surely we have learned our lesson about name calling.......it tends to get a thread locked.

Everyone should email this site and tell her what they think about misleading the brides. I did.

Diane

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 9:47pm
post #92 of 167
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think anyone called anyone immature

The post in question appears to have been deleted.

lionladydi Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 9:48pm
post #93 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think anyone called anyone immature

The post in question appears to have been deleted.

That's better than the thread getting locked down. icon_lol.gif

Diane

flourgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgrl Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 9:50pm
post #94 of 167

yes it was 2 posts before my first post, and it's gone.....odd?

Oh well............

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 9:52pm
post #95 of 167

It is gone.

akierasu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akierasu Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 10:04pm
post #96 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

I don't think anyone called anyone immature.

My post was deleted. Which brings me to another point, but I better leave that unsaid, or else this post will be deleted too...

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 10:06pm
post #97 of 167

Hahahaha!! Ok, I am not losing it! I was thinking, "Um, I see that someone said amateur, but that's not the same is immature!" icon_wink.gif I am reserving any direct comments about the cake in question because I have seen these threads go terribly awry when the morality police show up (other than my comment that I liked the rainbox cake better...) but I will say that the timeline IS insane!! Someone who is used to doing production cakes could whip that out, but not a first timer. Heck, I can't torte and fill a cake in 5 minutes, or whatever that number was. And I consider myself to be fairly adequate at this cake thing. I think, if a bride wants to do her own cake, or someone who loves her wants to do it, that is a wonderful thing, and if someone is willing to make them a tutorial for it, that is so kind of them, but it SHOULD BE REALISTIC not just with the picture of the end product, but the timeline and just an estimated cost. Obviously that will vary with location and possible coupons... but you get my drift. If it ends up costing almost as much, they may just want to buy it, unless this is something they feel very strongly about. Ok... shuttin' up now!

Edited to add: What the @$%& is a RAINBOX cake? I think I meant Rainbow, but who knows... I'm a little unstable today. icon_wink.gif

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 10:16pm
post #98 of 167

Sorry didn't mention it before, but yes, the post was deleted.

We don't call our fellow members immature or anyother name, so it was best to take it out and the poster notified.

any quotes that were made in reference to it, were also deleted to avoid any problems with that post.

So, you can carry on, please. The poster was already notified that it was not appropiate.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 10:17pm
post #99 of 167

wow that looks like my first practice cake

i think they should be emailed in case any one is interested icon_evil.gif

[email protected].

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 10:17pm
post #100 of 167

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_evil.gif

That is one of the most misleading articles I have ever read! This article could easily ruin a wedding!! OMG!!!

I have the perfect example of what it takes to make a cake...for the first time...

A picture in my gallery shows a round cake with a train on it. That was my first decorated cake. I thought I would save money for my son's 5th birthday, since we were going to Chucky Cheese, by making the cake. Can I just say that little 10" cake cost me nearly $150 by the time I bought everything twice because I picked out the wrong things the first time and didn't realize it until I went to use them...and they didn't work...like the little spatula or the white fondant I thought would be easy to color black or red...what about the cake boards? Can't buy just one...have to buy the pack. And the best of all....trying to get the freshly baked cake onto the cake board...the first one fell in the floor. I could go on and on....

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 10:23pm
post #101 of 167

Ok, are we able to delet our post?

I know someone posted and called us immature and now I can't find it?????????

They were a newbie, 15 yr old

Janette Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 10:27pm
post #102 of 167

Opps! I guess I should read all the way through. icon_redface.gif

Thanks, Maria

Mel, we already know that icon_wink.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 10:29pm
post #103 of 167

I'm thinking the author of that article is having a very bad email day.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 10:30pm
post #104 of 167

sweetconfectionschef-----
Your story is too funny sounds like me making cakes!!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 10:40pm
post #105 of 167

When I posted the link, I thought it might be useful to the paid bakers/decorators.

This could be shown to the bride as a cautionary tale of the wedding cake that never should have been....

All the expense of buying pans, ingredients, and other necessary items along with the huge amount of time actually needed to shop, bake and decorate plus set-up at the reception site WOULD NOT make this an easy task to accomplish.

And the end result truly shows what could be expected.....

I, also think the author is doing brides a disservice by saying this is "easy".

I used to work for a group of engineers, who had a saying: You can pick two out of three - good, fast, cheap. But you can't have all three, because there is no such thing!!!

I joined CC in March of 2006, looking for frosting and cake recipes for my son's wedding in August.
I have over 45 years baking experience, but not decorating.... CC has helped me more than the Wilton classes...

And I'm proud to say his wedding cake, though not on par with the exquisite creations I see on CC, was simple but elegant (and pretty).

I don't know how a bride who isn't at least a baker can hope to create her own wedding cake. Baking properly (in other than 8 or 9" pans) is another skill that needs to be mastered, in addition to the decorating skills required for a wedding cake.

All in all, it took me longer than I thought... and I had the cakes already baked and frozen and the frosting prepared.... (Plus all the decorating tools, and cakeboards...)

How awful to realize that you didn't remember to buy the straws.... and have to make an emergency run icon_sad.gif

Pity the poor bride who relies on this article.....

mysonshines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysonshines Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 10:47pm
post #106 of 167

Thanks. That was hilarious! icon_lol.gif

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 11:11pm
post #107 of 167

The decorating aspect aside, I was just thinking about the baking aspect of it too. I can make a mean box cake but I am still learning about being a scratch baker and it is a new skill I am trying to master. I have to laugh that the recipe suggested was a scratch one especially since alot of brides today are from the "box cake generation" (yes, sweeping generalization made there, I know but I am part of that generation icon_wink.gif) Even making a box cake turn out like a professional cake requires some know how beyond a cake or two a year and practice! icon_smile.gif

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 11:21pm
post #108 of 167

did you all click on Nina's bio? she has an english and theater degree and is an EVENT PLANNER! which apparently is where she got all of this worldly cake info???? god help us...... one... i'm not sure any event planner would advise making your own wedding cake... and two... the staging of her cake tutorial could have been a bit more atractive... not dirty spatulas and ingredients all over....

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 12:34am
post #109 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiesuz

You might be a redneck if......

ROTFLMAO icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif K'ly

Janette Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 12:45am
post #110 of 167

Hey, that's my peeps your talking about !

icon_wink.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

akierasu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akierasu Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 4:30am
post #111 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

They were a newbie, 15 yr old

Wow, you're real nice...

._. Maybe I should just quit this website.

lionladydi Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 4:35am
post #112 of 167

I hear it coming.................

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 4:48am
post #113 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

I hear it coming.................

For REAL, Lionladydi...For REAL.

I clicked through the links for the place where it's like, "If you think you would be a good About.com guide, click here" type deals. And their "qualifications" don't even rate! thumbsdown.gif

Seems pretty simple to become one of their "guides..."

So sad. Right now, somewhere in the world, there'a a bride-to-be sitting there reading that stuff and thinking, "I can do better than that! And I can definitely work that amount of time in..."

It kills me that the baking time was something like an hour or whatever it was...I spend an HOUR just baking one LAYER! icon_confused.gif

--Knox--

Melvira Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 4:53am
post #114 of 167

OMG Knox... I can't even focus on what you're saying because I'm too busy dying over your avatar!! Is that your baby? Pathetically cute, to say the least!!

knoxcop1 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 4:57am
post #115 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

OMG Knox... I can't even focus on what you're saying because I'm too busy dying over your avatar!! Is that your baby? Pathetically cute, to say the least!!

YES!! icon_biggrin.gif Him is hims momma's ol' babies! Yusshhh...Him is da baby boy for him momma...

He's a very old, and very crippled boy. He's a blue chihuahua. Purple eyes and practically no hair!! LOL He just got a bath this past weekend, and we put his little black t-shirt and his necklace on him. He felt pretty handsome in that!

Thanks for admiring him--he's a shy boy, but he knows he's so handsome.

--Knox--

Melvira Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 5:04am
post #116 of 167

Stop it! You're killing me! Me's gonna kissy wissy da widdle poochy woochy! Dang it!! Look what you made me do!! icon_lol.gif I just went and made an @ss of myself in front of everyone. Oh well... at least you did it FIRST!! icon_wink.gif

knoxcop1 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 5:08am
post #117 of 167

icon_biggrin.gif

Janette Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 5:15am
post #118 of 167

akierasu,

I didn't say anything that should make you want to quit this site.

I was just saying what post I was looking for, I didn't know that it had been erased.

I have a very good friend that is a member here and he is 15 yrs old.

It wasn't directed to you to be offensive.

Janette Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 5:22am
post #119 of 167

I have been baking cakes and cookies all day and I am ready to drop.

And they think it's easy.

Rosery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosery Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 5:40am
post #120 of 167

Okay, I don't know what's funnier...that story or y'alls posts about it! It all reminds me of my professional photography days. Anyone who has a camera thinks they're a photographer and brides are forever trying to save money on photos by having cousin Joe or Aunt Betty, who just got a new camera for Christmas, do their pictures. icon_lol.gif Don't they realize after everything's over, the only thing left is the photographs (well, and the ugly bridesmaid dresses...)?

Well, I'm glad I'm out of that business! icon_biggrin.gif Professional wedding photography, like Professional wedding cakes, is an art form and is worth the money.

They're going to "torte" a cake layer in 5 minutes? Heck, I didn't even know what that word meant until recently! Sorry, I just had to say it icon_razz.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%