Made A Doctored Up Choc Cake And It Fell

Baking By midwestmom Updated 22 Mar 2005 , 2:36pm by cakeconfections

midwestmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmom Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 11

I made a milk chocolate cake mix & used milk instead of water & put in a big spoonful on sour cream. When they were baking in the oven they were pretty big but after I took them out of the oven they completely deflated! icon_cry.gif

10 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 11

Just curious...did you increase the amount of the baking time? I think I read on here somewhere that if you add the sour cream you have to increase the baking time! Were you able to level them off and salvage the cakes?

midwestmom Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 11

No I didn't have to increase the baking time. They were done right at the time the mix said. I still used them but we haven't tasted them yet.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 11

Whenever I bake cakes in the oven I always place a small saucepan filled with boiling water in with the cakes. I have found that this really helps in keeping the cakes bake level.

midwestmom Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 5:29am
post #5 of 11

even so, they were delicious icon_smile.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 8:45am
post #6 of 11

I made a french vanilla cake mix with instant pudding, and doctored it up too, it was heavy, and dry, but tasted great. I don't think I will do it again... if I make a cake mix then thats what it will be, if not I will do homemade from scratch...... I was glad the cake was just for us.

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 11

I have never had a problem when doctoring cakes mixes. Have in mind that if the directions say to use 1 1/3 cup of water and you're adding one cup of milk then you should add 1/3 of sour cream. I also use 4 eggs to prevent the cake to crumble when is being cut as I noticed crumbling when used only 3 eggs. Last step is setting the temperature at 125 degrees for at least 40 minutes "without opening that door!!!) Sudden change in temperature could cause cakes to get flat or dimpled in the center. If you touch the cake and it still feels soft give it 10-15 more minutes. Remember, practice makes perfection!

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 10:29am
post #8 of 11

Do adding the sour cream make the cake more dense? heavy enough for a 3-d cake like the lamb pan or what should i add ?

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 12:07pm
post #9 of 11

OK have a question... what if your oven doesnt have 125 degrees.. the lowest is 200....? I hate these ovens here...they seem to burn everything, or make it dry.... I cant seem to get it right all the time......

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 2:11pm
post #10 of 11

blessBeckysbaking, sour cream makes the cake more moisted. For dense cakes just increase the amount of eggs. However, for my 3D cakes I only use spice cake mix (add 1 extra egg to the mix) and pound cakes which are perfect as the are firmer.

flayvurdfun, I guess you must try to find the equivalence in degrees to the american system. I always bake my cakes at 325 degrees regarding of the instructions, just let them stay in a little longer.

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 2:36pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessBeckysbaking

Do adding the sour cream make the cake more dense? heavy enough for a 3-d cake like the lamb pan or what should i add ?

To make a more dense cake add an egg. For DH if you want a cake that resemebles a pound cake use 4 eggs, 1/3 c oil, 1 cup water and add a box of pudding..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%