Creamed Cheese Icing

Baking By sgirvan Updated 15 Mar 2005 , 2:19pm by m0use

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 3:00am
post #1 of 9

I am looking for a really yummy and easy to make creamed cheese frosting to put on top on my very yummy banana cake. I have used regular Buttercream but thought I could put the creamed cheese on it and make it even better. Any suggestions would be very appreciated thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
Viviane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Viviane Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 5:34am
post #2 of 9

Hi! That sounds like an incredibly delicious idea! When I needed cream cheese icing, I looked online and found a site with about a dozen different recipes for it. I thought it was good, that I actually ate the extra with a spoon - shhh...don't tell anyone.

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgirvan

I am looking for a really yummy and easy to make creamed cheese frosting to put on top on my very yummy banana cake. I have used regular Buttercream but thought I could put the creamed cheese on it and make it even better. Any suggestions would be very appreciated thumbs_up.gif

I make mine with

1 1/2 cup sweetex (Shortening)
1 8ounce block cream cheese
2 lbs sugar
1/2 liquid (water , milk)
If your able to find cream cheese flavoring add that too..

Cream together the shortening and then cream cheese and then add the rest.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgirvan

I altered my regular Cream Cheese icing recipe by replacing 1/2 of the vanilla with 1/2 banana flavored extract! Here it is:

1# soft cream cheese
1/2 c. butter, soft
1/2 ts. vanilla
1/2 tsp. banana extract
1# powdered sugar
A touch of Wilton "Golden Yellow" paste coloring

After mixing, put in the fridge to chill for a few hours! Enjoy!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 9

Ooops, forget to mention that this is a very soft and creamy frosting and you need to work quickly! This is enough to fill and frost a 3 layer cake!

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

Ooops, forget to mention that this is a very soft and creamy frosting and you need to work quickly! This is enough to fill and frost a 3 layer cake!

Just add more powder sugar to make it stiffer if its to soft for you to work with.. its something your going to have to play with to see what works best for you when it comes to cream cheese frosting...

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone, I will give it a try this week as everyone ate the cake already and wants more........... icon_biggrin.gif

Misska21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misska21 Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 1:15am
post #8 of 9

Mrs. Missey-

The banana extract sounds yummy...thanks for the tip! thumbs_up.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 2:19pm
post #9 of 9

I just made a cream cheese frosting last night from the cake mix doctor book. It is really yummy, and I was surprised, after letting it sit for 10-15 minutes at least, it did crust up a little bit. But- the icing was extremely soft for doing any type of decorating except for wilton round tip #3.
Here's the receipe from the book from memory:
1 8oz cream cheese, room temperature
8 Tbsp butter (1 stick), room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
2 Tbsp orange zest
Cream butter and cream cheese together. Add the powdered sugar in a little at a time, mixing after each addition until it is completely mixed. Then add the orange juice and the zest. Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy.
Now for what I did: I substituted the orange with fresh lemon juice, and I only used about 1 teaspoon of lemon zest or about half of the lemon. I also did not sift my powdered sugar, it was not lumpy so I did not feel it was necessary.
It was soft, but it did crust a little bit. It was very nice to spread.
It was also VERY YUMMY! icon_biggrin.gif
I did take pics and will post them as soon as I can. I iced the cake which was a 9" 2 layer buttermilk spice cake and had extra icing over. So I tinted the leftover icing yellow and practiced some decorating things. It turned out kinda nice looking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%