Chocolate Buttercream

Baking By cindy6250 Updated 25 Oct 2005 , 11:37pm by PinkPanther

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 8

I'm fairly new to cake decorating and have just begun getting a few cake orders. Here's my dilemma...I have an order for a 12 x 18 sheet cake,
yellow with chocolate icing. The cake is to be delivered to the caterer on Saturday, but the dinner is Sunday. Can anyone suggest a good recipe that will stand up, unrefrigerated overnight? I usually make mine with all
shortening, but have seen several really good looking recipes with butter. Just not sure if that will keep out of the frig....

7 replies
cindy6250 Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 8

Please can anyone suggest if chocolate buttercream made with butter absolutely has to be kept in frig. The recipe I am thinking of using is 2 3/4 cups shortening, and 3/4 cup butter....Thanks

prettytoya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettytoya Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 8

Cindy-most all recipes, with the exception of whipped cream and those with fresh fruit, can be kept out overnight.

cindy6250 Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you for your help. I'm still learning about all this and don't want to make anyone sick...

christiethomas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christiethomas Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 8

I made a chocolate buttercream with 1 stick of butter and 1 1/2 cups of shortening and kept it held up just fine with no refrigeration.

PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 8

Yes, it will be fine left out overnight. Somehow the sugar acts as a preservative. Here is the link to Wilton's chocolate buttercream. icon_smile.gif

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/chocobutter.cfm

cindy6250 Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks Christie and Pinkpanther, I need all the help I can get. This is the third cake that I have sold, but I'm trying to modify some recipes to make them better. I am just loving this, it is great fun. The cake I'm making is going to have fall leaves and pumpkins, not real ornate.

PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 8

I'm sure it will be great! thumbs_up.gif Be sure to post a picture when you're done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%