Mmf On Sc Disappointment...

Baking By Melvira Updated 18 Feb 2007 , 1:30am by Kate714

Rosery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosery Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 4:37am
post #31 of 42

Nefgaby,
I like the Flour pot cookies; I like my cookies crispier than most, so I bake them longer than the 8 minutes suggested on the recipe.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 11:48am
post #32 of 42

kneadacookie.....................this is so close to the recipe I use, mine uses salted butter and soda instead of powder and 2 1/2 cups flour. Mine don't spread much but if I use this there will probably be even less spreading. I do though put mine in the refridge for 10 minutes before baking. Thanks for everyones help.

khufstetler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khufstetler Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 12:31pm
post #33 of 42

I have a question.

The Toba Garrett recipe and the NFSC recipe are so close! Now, I'm not an expert by ANY means, but there is only 1 tsp. more of Baking Powder in the NFSC recipe (well, and the salt, but I rarely use that).

What difference would that make? Would it be the reason my NFSC cookies are "drier" than I'd like? Even if I don't bake them long?

Doubling the TG recipe:

2 C unsalted butter
2 C granulated sugar
2 large egg
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
6 C all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling

NFSC recipe:
2 cups butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
3 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla extract or desired flavoring (I like almond myself)
6 cups flour
1 tsp. salt

hmmmmmmm.... any insight?

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 2:13pm
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosery

Nefgaby,
I like the Flour pot cookies; I like my cookies crispier than most, so I bake them longer than the 8 minutes suggested on the recipe.

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 2:13pm
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by khufstetler

I have a question.

The recipe and the NFSC recipe are so close! Now, I'm not an expert by ANY means, but there is only 1 tsp. more of Baking Powder in the NFSC recipe (well, and the salt, but I rarely use that).

What difference would that make? Would it be the reason my NFSC cookies are "drier" than I'd like? Even if I don't bake them long?

Doubling the TG recipe:

2 C unsalted butter
2 C granulated sugar
2 large egg
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
6 C all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling

NFSC recipe:
2 cups butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
3 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla extract or desired flavoring (I like almond myself)
6 cups flour
1 tsp. salt

hmmmmmmm.... any insight?

I would also like to know... icon_confused.gif

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 2:25pm
post #36 of 42

i gotta find my retail baking book i'm sure it says just what the salt does

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 3:28pm
post #37 of 42

ok found my book but i'm not sure how much good it was as far as the salt. it mostly talks about salt with bread and fermentation. i'll have to ask an instructor about that one. but the baking powder is a leavening agent. the book says if you have to much your product may rise too quickly and fall before it's set.

Cookie Faults and Their Causes
Too much spread
baking temp too low
not enough flour
too much sugar
too much leavening
too much liquied
pans greased too much

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 4:32pm
post #38 of 42

i have been using nfsc recipe. I have a pic of them done w/mmf, it works great!

khufstetler - after i took toba's class i mentioned her recipe here or at another cake/cookie forum. Someone pointed out that it is the same recipe. i never sat down to read them both and compare, so i can't say yes. I do know they both work great and taste good!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 11:35pm
post #39 of 42

The salt simply enhances the flavor of the cookies and balances the sweet. I wouldn't leave it out, the cookies will be less flavorful. I am not shocked that the recipes are so close... how much can a basic sugar cookie recipe vary, really? It's flour, butter, and sugar, etc.

khufstetler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khufstetler Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 9:35am
post #40 of 42

Thanks SO MUCH for the info!

As it stands today, I still love the NFSC - they have a wonderful taste to me.

I do think I might try a batch with the lesser "Leavening Agent" baking powder... see how it works!

I must say (again) that I rarely use a whole tsp. of salt; but if I try Toba's recipe, it doesn't even call for it.

Sounds like a good Sunday afternoon experiment to me... after Valentine's Day. icon_wink.gif

belindajax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belindajax Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 10:01am
post #41 of 42

I made the NFSC with MMF for the first time yesterday and boy are they yummy. I also did not have a problem with spreading and only ended up with a very small border of cookie around the MMF. The only thing that I did differently was that I halved the recipe and refrigerated the dough for about 5 or 6 hours before I rolled them out.

I wish I had taken a picture but I put them straight into the freezer to save for Valentine's Day.

Good Luck!

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 1:30am
post #42 of 42

I have the OPPOSITE problem as the OP:

My cookies and the MMF are the same size, no cookie border at all!!! Do you think maybe I shouldn't put them in the freezer next time, so they'll spread a little??? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%