Clogged Decorating Tips

Decorating By Darra Updated 30 Oct 2005 , 11:56pm by IHATEFONDANT

Darra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darra Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 9:17am
post #1 of 10

i have NEVER been able to use my Wilton #1 round decorating tips - they're always clogged!!! ok i think i used them once for the filligree work in decorating class but somehow i can't seem to make them work at home! i've tried piping with royal icing, buttercream, even ganache but NOTHING comes out. i had a small success with color-flow or runout icing but i noticed that the flow was not steady and came out in uncontrolled spurts. at first i thought maybe i damaged the tip during cleaning so i went and bought another one... so now i have two #1's that don't work icon_sad.gif what am i doing wrong? i tried squeezing til the bag almost burst but that didn't help either. does anyone have any, uhh, TIPS on how to use my smaller tips more effectively?

9 replies
tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 9:58am
post #2 of 10

Is your icing thinned down enough? That tip is pretty small. Also, have you tried opening it up a bit more? Sometimes a toothpick will do the trick.

HTH,
Tanya

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 1:02pm
post #3 of 10

Darra,

I'm with you on that subject! I can't get icing out of my #2 tip either! I never thought of thinning it down. I just use tip #3 and deal with the thickness!
But now when I NEED very thin lines, I'll try thinning the icing. Thanks for the tip Tanya!

melxcloud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melxcloud Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 10

you might also want to try sifting your powdered sugar when you make BC or Royal icing just to make sure there are no clogs. But i'd say thinning down is your best bet.

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 10

Do you mean they are clogged from previous use? If so, soak in hot water with soap and vinegar. The vinegar will help dissolve the icing.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 10

No, Susan, not from previous use; just so hard to squeeze icing out of (for me anyhow). There are no lumps in the icing clogging it melxcloud; I think in my case, it's just too thick.

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 10

Oh, that's what it sounds like..

ShelbysYummys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbysYummys Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 10

I agree with the other girls. Your icing has to be pretty thin for such a small hole and since the hole is soooo small be sure to clean it GOOD after you are done using it icon_biggrin.gif
Michelle

Darra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darra Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 10

thanks everyone! icon_smile.gif

i'm always really tidy with my decorating tips so i'm pretty sure thinning down my icing should be the trick icon_smile.gif thank you all so much!

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 11:56pm
post #10 of 10

When I use that tip I take a new/unused knee high...stretch it over a glass..secure with a rubber band..it has to be tight..fill it with your icing and squeeze the icing out of it. It takes some elbow grease to do it..I tie the end off and then run my hand down the stocking to the end and push the icing through into a bowl.

It is messy but the only way to ensure perfectly smooth icing.

Use it as it is or thin it a bit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%