Help With Pricing Cupcakes

Decorating By Mac Updated 26 Oct 2005 , 3:43am by okieinalaska

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 3:55am
post #1 of 17

Okay you cupcake people, help with pricing cupcakes. For decorated cupcakes, I usually charge $12.50 a dozen, but I have an order for 12 dozen--just frosted with orange or chocolate frosting then tied with a ribbon around cup. Told customer that tying ribbon would be very time consuming and I would have to think about price. I have to call her back on Tuesday. Any thoughts on what I should charge?

16 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 4:12am
post #2 of 17

Well, cupcakes are more time consuming than some character cakes, definitely more so than even a simple birthday cake with three roses on. Then you have the ribbon to consider. How many cupcakes do you get out of 1 cake recipe and one icing recipe? This depends on the size of your muffin tin. Then you have the cupcake liners if you use them. So I would think, $1.50 minimum a cupcake, if I was doing them and that is really cheap. I use large to extra large tins.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 5:16am
post #3 of 17

Is she willing to tie the ribbons on herself? just a thought if you really don't want to. : )

SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 5:32am
post #4 of 17

Also, is she supplying it/
Hugs SQuirrelly

becca0926 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becca0926 Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 5:50am
post #5 of 17

I don't see how it would be so time consuming. Just put icing in a bag with maybe tip 21. What would be so time consuming with that? If I understood it right she just wants the cupcake iced with orange or chocolate icing.

farney0125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farney0125 Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 5:51am
post #6 of 17

I too would say ATLEAST $1.50 per cupcake...since you have to tie a ribbon around each one I'd charge $2.00 per cupcake unless she wants to do it herself. I am about to start my 300 cupcake order. I have to decorate each of them in some sort of Halloween theme...I just got my order of small boxes (for individual cupcakes) and Halloween themed bags (to put the cupcake boxes with the cupcake in...) and tie ribbon to close. I am not looking forward to it...especially since I am NOT getting paid for it. I am donating them and my time to a charity Halloween party for "at risk youth" for the city. Why do I offer these things? UGH! Good luck on your cupcakes!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 5:58am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by becca0926

I don't see how it would be so time consuming. Just put icing in a bag with maybe tip 21. What would be so time consuming with that? If I understood it right she just wants the cupcake iced with orange or chocolate icing.

Well, to flat ice a sheet cake is faster than to do the equivalent amount of cake, in cupcakes. You have to be a bit more delicate with cupcakes to, it is easy to squish them or topple them when icing. You tend to use a lot more icing when doing individual cupcakes then doing a flat cake.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Mac Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 11:56am
post #8 of 17

becca0926--
The time consuming part is tying the ribbon. Plus this customer also wants about 12 dozen cookies to go with them. Not to mention other orders I am getting.

DiH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiH Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 12:49pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

I have an order for 12 dozen--just frosted with orange or chocolate frosting then tied with a ribbon around cup. Told customer that tying ribbon would be very time consuming

Would the customer consider a piped BC ribbon and bow instead? Just a thought.

Plus... how do you keep the ribbon from slipping down the side of the cupcake?

SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 3:41pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

becca0926--
The time consuming part is tying the ribbon. Plus this customer also wants about 12 dozen cookies to go with them. Not to mention other orders I am getting.

With the 12 dozen cupcakes, that is a heck of a lot of work, isn't it? Plus, I find, that when people place a large order like that, they expect a lower per item cost. I never could understand the reasoning behind that. You use the same amount of ingredients multiplied, it takes a long time to get it done and it is exhausting.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

okieinalaska Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 5:02pm
post #11 of 17

I would be willing to bet that if push comes to shove, she isn't willing to tie them on herself or to pay for you to tie them, LOL.

Best wishes! I hope it works out. : )

Mac Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 7:38pm
post #12 of 17

DiH--
Haven't figured out how to keep it from slipping either, unless I find a straight sided cupcake pan. I'll see what she says--I'm quoting a price of $1.50 each cupcake.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 8:10pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

DiH--
Haven't figured out how to keep it from slipping either, unless I find a straight sided cupcake pan. I'll see what she says--I'm quoting a price of $1.50 each cupcake.

Glue gun on the outside of the paper cupcake liner? Or candy melt or royal icing?
Hugs Squirrelly

okieinalaska Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 8:11pm
post #14 of 17

Glue gun or royal icing definately ups the PITA factor. I hope you price accordingly, LOL. icon_biggrin.gif

Mac Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 11:19pm
post #15 of 17

Okay guys--she didn't even bat (no pun intended for Halloween) an eye when I told her the price. So now her order stands at 12 dozen cupcakes (1/2 with ribbon and the orther half with candy clay bats), 12 dozen cookies (jack-o-lanterns, ghosts and spiderwebs) and 12 dozen marshmallows on sticks (decorated like jack-o-lanterns). Better start baking them cookies tonite!!!

Woo Hoo!!!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 12:41am
post #16 of 17

Heehee, groan!
Ghoul luck with your baking!
Hugs Squirrelly

okieinalaska Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 3:43am
post #17 of 17

Awesome!! Congrats on getting the order! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%