Sylvia Weinstock Buttercream Only

Decorating By lables12 Updated 23 Mar 2007 , 6:03am by Jopalis

lables12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lables12 Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 29

I got a Sylvia book from the library, it was published in 1999, she states that she would never use fondant, it tastes bad and would never serve it. I just find that the newer/more modern styles all look great in fondant, does anyone have a newer book of hers or know her work, has she come around and got 'with the times' and use fondant to make her cakes, or still sticks with buttercream only philosophy?

28 replies
HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 29

She does use fondant now. icon_smile.gif

I've checked out that book quite a few times from the library. I had to laugh at that statement--not because she felt that way, just that she sounded so uppity about it!

HollyPJ Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 29

I just checked her website, and didn't see any cakes that looked like they were fondant-covered in the brief slideshow, but I'm almost certain that I recently saw a picture of a fondant cake that she'd done. I just can't remember where!

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 29

I have to say, IMHO she IS pretty uppity about her work. LOVE her stuff, don't get me wrong! I use her recipes all the time, especially her BC.

In her defense, however...her technique for smoothing buttercream is SO good, that many of her cakes LOOK as if they're covered in fondant.

If a client wants to not break free of "fondant fear", and try the newer products/recipes available now, it's a very good option for them.

This is just my opinion, please don't lynch me over this tapedshut.gif

HollyPJ Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGingerbread

I have to say, IMHO she IS pretty uppity about her work. LOVE her stuff, don't get me wrong! I use her recipes all the time, especially her BC.

In her defense, however...her technique for smoothing buttercream is SO good, that many of her cakes LOOK as if they're covered in fondant.

If a client wants to not break free of "fondant fear", and try the newer products/recipes available now, it's a very good option for them.

This is just my opinion, please don't lynch me over this tapedshut.gif

Why would you get lynched for this? You didn't say anything controversial!

I agree that she does a marvelous job smoothing her buttercream. Her cakes are amazing, particularly her gumpaste flowers.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 29

One thing I always wonder about - not all of these big designers do all the work themselves. Sometimes I wonder why more credit isn't given to the people actually doing the hands on work.

RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 29

jmt,

I agree with you there. Unless she were being noted for her work with an award, I doubt she'd be motivated to give an "I'd just like to thank..." speech, ala the Oscars. hehehe

Using Sylvia as the example still..Granted, it's her name on the shop, as she's the designer. So good or bad, she's ultimately responsible for the final product.

However, when she was interviewed on Food Network's "Secret Life of...", she gave proper credit to the 2, or was it 3, women who work for her that do nothing BUT create those wonderful sugarpaste flowers.

So, when it's appropriate, I think they would credit their team. I'm just not sure how often that would be the case <?>

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 29

I don't understand why she would not do fondant, but use gumpaste. Sure, someone who decorates cakes KNOWS that gumpaste is not really supposed to be eaten, but most people don't know and eat the gumpaste too. As evidenced when I brough my first cake into my office and had to tell everyone NOT to eat the flowers because they were digging right in. My boss even ignored my warning and only listened when he bit a wire. Fondant is a lot more edible than gumpaste, and even though I don't like the taste of it, it definately has it's good points too (helps keep the cake fresh, looks great).To me it's just a decoration like the flowers/figures are and since there is still yummy buttercream underneath I don't feel that it sacrifices the taste of the cake. Plus, a lot of people truly like the taste of fondant.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 6:49pm
post #9 of 29

I too saw that episode and the team of ladies she has making the gumpaste flowers do phenominal work.I can't imagine!!

HollyPJ Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 29

I think the point is, most of the big name designers could do that high of quality work themselves if they had to...they probably did when they were starting out. But now they can afford to get help, and they (I assume) hire people who do a good job of representing their work.

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 9:24pm
post #11 of 29

What Is her technique for smoothing her cakes? Does anyone know? I use her buttercream and usually do it with A-Hot spatula or B- My finger on cold cake. It takes FOREVER and I'd love to learn a faster way!!

RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 1:49pm
post #12 of 29

luvs,

I have to dig her book out of a moving box today, and I'll find out what she does for her smoothing, and will post a synopsis as soon as I can.

~ Scott

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 1:57pm
post #13 of 29

I met Sylvia last year (VERY nice lady) and she told me the same thing, that she doesn't like fondant and doesn't use it. She had a number of reasons (basically what she stated in her book.)

For smoothing, I won't speak for her, but I have seen on TV where her staff uses a bench scraper and an electric turntable to smooth buttercream. Hey whatever works! icon_biggrin.gif

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 8:58pm
post #14 of 29

Wow! Would that be like a paint thingy? I have a big metal paint thingy that I bought for cake smoothing but haven't found it very easy to use so I put it away. Maybe I just need to get used to it.
Thanks ladies!

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 11:15pm
post #15 of 29

They do have bench scrapers for painting, but I like the ones sold in cake stores better -- easier to control and they have better porportion to the cake.

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 12:33am
post #16 of 29

what is a bench scraper and what is sylvia's recipe for buttercream??

jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 12:47am
post #17 of 29

a bench scraper is the BEST invention ever for buttercream! You can find it at paint or hardware stores...make sure it's metal! It's what bread bakers use to cut their dough and drywallers use to mud!!
You use it to smooth out buttercream when it has hardened...
As for Sylvia's buttercream I'm assuming it's a cooked swiss or italian buttercream!
HTH

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 12:54am
post #18 of 29

thanks jdogga for your reply. I make a very good italian buttercream, but it is very time consuming. I'm looking for something a little quicker and easier. icon_smile.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 12:54am
post #19 of 29

Sylvia's recipe is IMBC and I always use my scraper. I got it from Grahm Kerr years ago. It makes smoothing IMBC wonderful!
Jacqui

heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 12:56am
post #20 of 29

So do you heat the scraper with hot water and dry before using it on the hardened bc? This sounds great, and I really want to try it, but I'm not quite sure how it works. Thanksicon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 1:02am
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by heiser73

So do you heat the scraper with hot water and dry before using it on the hardened bc? This sounds great, and I really want to try it, but I'm not quite sure how it works. Thanksicon_smile.gif

I run it under hot water .... I don't wipe it dry, just shake it off .... and I dont' use it on 'hardened' BC ..... I ice the cake and while it's still soft, run the scraper around the sides (using turntable makes it even better).

Once the BC has crusted, there is no melting it down to smooth .... at that point, if I have to do any smoothing, it's the parchment paper rub for me!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 1:09am
post #22 of 29

IMBC doesn't crust and hardens only once it's been refrigerated. I use mine when the icing is fresh.
Jacqui

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 1:13am
post #23 of 29

I run it under hot water .... I don't wipe it dry, just shake it off .... and I dont' use it on 'hardened' BC ..... I ice the cake and while it's still soft, run the scraper around the sides (using turntable makes it even better).

Once the BC has crusted, there is no melting it down to smooth .... at that point, if I have to do any smoothing, it's the parchment paper rub for me![/quote]

Me Too! This is the only method that works for me--no viva, no spnge roller---just a bench scraper (credit card works super too) and some hot water.

indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 1:30am
post #24 of 29

oh yeah, the credit card method! I just learned that one in January! It works GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:45am
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

oh yeah, the credit card method! I just learned that one in January! It works GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

credit card method? Do tell...

indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:51am
post #26 of 29

I saw it at an ICES meeting. A lady who runs a very well respected bakery around here gave the demo. She saves all of those "you may be pre-approved" credit cards that come in the mail and after sanitizing them, uses them to smooth icing. I went home that night and made a small cake just so I could try it. OMG it is awesome! I think it's the flexibility in the card that makes it work so well, which is odd because I think it's the non-flexibility in the drywall tool that makes IT work so well.

SHe gave the demo on a beach flip-flop cake and the credit card smooth the BC in all the curves on that cake.

I keep a couple handy ..... it's awesome!!!!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 4:18pm
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I saw it at an ICES meeting. A lady who runs a very well respected bakery around here gave the demo. She saves all of those "you may be pre-approved" credit cards that come in the mail and after sanitizing them, uses them to smooth icing. I went home that night and made a small cake just so I could try it. OMG it is awesome! I think it's the flexibility in the card that makes it work so well, which is odd because I think it's the non-flexibility in the drywall tool that makes IT work so well.

SHe gave the demo on a beach flip-flop cake and the credit card smooth the BC in all the curves on that cake.

I keep a couple handy ..... it's awesome!!!!!!

OOOOOHHH!! I'll have to try that! I make hubby little 6 inch cakes just for him (gotta practice on somebody!icon_wink.gif) and this will be the perfect place to try it out!! Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

sherry4620 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry4620 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 4:40pm
post #28 of 29

I use the high density paint roller...you could not pay me enough to use another method...when I am done it looks like fondant. I have been using it since Christmas and it is amazing.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 6:03am
post #29 of 29

While I like the applications of fondant in terms of decorative options and the beautiful appearance, I have found that so far our family just really doesn't care for it. I think it came out right and all ... just don't like the piece of fondant on top. I even pick it off and try to scrape my yummy IMBC out from under it in the process. So far I have made MMF and Toba's... So Sylvia is probably right on about a lot of folks not liking it... She does use it to make flowers, etc. Most of those I have served it to are not crazy about it either.... As far as fondant goes I did like Toba's...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%