LetS Start! Make Cake!

Business By klamshops Updated 27 Oct 2005 , 2:48am by candyladyhelen

klamshops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klamshops Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 8

I am in the computer graphic arts and am rethinking things over with how I want to make my living. After watching the cupcake and spooky cake challenge on food network, I just got inspired. I like making things, I like design, and I like to bring a little delight into peoples life even just for a little bit. I want to be able to sculpt out fantasies and make art. Id like to change careers.

My questions are what I need to do and what I need to learn to start heading towards making a living even my own small business out of edible art (pastries).

7 replies
jekizer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jekizer Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 8

I am by no means an expert, however, if I were you I would look into classes that are offered in your area. You can take Wilton Classes at almost any Michaels or Hobby Lobby store. If you have any questions let us know. Everyone on this site is willing to share and help you in anyway that we can.

BTW.... welcome to CC. It is truly our addiction.

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 8

I too am no expert but I'll just tell you what I am planning. Funny enough I am a graphic designer/sign maker by trade too but am really wanting to move into cakes. It won't be for awhile but it will happen. I started last year by taking the Wilton classes at my local Michaels store because my friend had always wanted to take them. I had never even thought of it before but it sounded fun. I ended up taking all 3 courses and being pretty good according to my instructor. I loved it! By then I was hooked. I started looking online for cakes and just finding all of these amazing sites of professionals that make unbelievable cakes. I had never even thought half of that stuff was possible.
Basically I just immersed myself in everything cake. I try to learn as much as I can and take as many classes as possible. I buy books to learn from and just teach myself new things. I get orders from friends and family but am starting to also get outside orders. Just practice, practice, practice. Learn everything you can and take every opportunity that comes your way.
I watch every cake show I can on Food Network and contact professionals online with questions I may have and sometimes they help me if they can.
As far as the business aspect, I don't know and it will vary as to where you live. I am just planning on learning as much as possible about the craft as I can, make as many cakes as I can to build my portfolio, even work for someone else for awhile just to get experience. Take business classes or look into the requirements from your area. Just ask questions to anyone you can.
Sorry this was so longwinded! Good luck and I hope you love it as much as I do.
Heather

rachaelwelch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachaelwelch Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 8

Wow...Apparently I'm not the only one like this! icon_lol.gif I too am a graphics designer/web developer. I've been doing this for years and years now, and I love ANYTHING and EVERYTHING creative. I love to paint, sculpt, draw, etc, and now I've found an outlet with cake making too! I've only done a few cakes (which you can see in my photos section), but I'm really loving it and finding it as a great way to use my creativity. There is SO MUCH left to learn, and I'm seriously thinking of taking some classes too.

Someday I would like to be a stay-at-home mom, and I would continue on with doing freelance graphic design, but I'd also like to add cake artist to my resume, you know? I'm at the site daily now (just found it two weeks ago) trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible.

Good luck with your new endeavor!!!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 8

Ok this is freaky! I'm a graphic artist too and I'm trying desperately to get into cake decorating as apart-time business. I guess it just helps to have a creative mind!

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 8

Cake art is so addicting.....I have been on a cake mission since last march when I started the wilton lessons.
My husband ironically is a web designer/graphic artist too, and he is very interested in going into the cake business with me. For someone with a penchant for art, there's bundles of work in this business. He's great in sculpting, sketching, and painting, and I have him working on a project with me for this weekend. (the Cinderella cake for our niece). He's really loving it, so I am hoping he will follow your lead and get into doing the cakes more.
My mother-in-law, who is also a seasoned artist (it's where hub gets his talent), laughs that people will pay 2,000 upward for an elaborate, painted wedding cake that will vanish in 1 day, and yet not pay for a beautiful painting they could have on the wall for a lifetime.
I told her to switch her medium!!
Good luck with every thing...looking forward to all of your cakes!
Ellen

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 1:39pm
post #7 of 8

Well, you're definately in the right place....

I'm an artist as well, having studied fine art (among other things)...which I still love to do, but applying what I know to decorating cakes is so great!

I'm reluctant in taking classes, however....

I must admit that I need some hints on doing a couple of things easier, but, I like to learn on my own. I scour the internet, and link all the GREAT cake-sites to my Favorite places. I have read countless numbers of instructionals, and, by trial and error, I am beginning to master this craft.

I think all cake-decorators have a little something special about them, but the approach is different for everyone. As a right-brainer...everything is very visual to me, and as you explained....you want to sculpt out fantasies....
I couldn't have said it better myself!

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 2:48am
post #8 of 8

This is weird....I am a cake decorator for 33 years and I am trying to become a graphics artist!!!! (Just kididng)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%