Cake Cracking!

Decorating By charlotte Updated 13 Mar 2005 , 5:03pm by Ladycake

charlotte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlotte Posted 13 Mar 2005 , 2:08am
post #1 of 5

Help! The birthday party is tomorrow but the icing is cracking tonight. It's a very heavy two layer 12 by 18 sheet cake. Is this happening because there's not enough moisture or is it the heaviness of the cake?

Any help will be appreciated.

Charlotte

4 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 13 Mar 2005 , 2:26am
post #2 of 5

Are these little cracks? It could be from the cake flexing whenever you move/lift it.

charlotte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlotte Posted 13 Mar 2005 , 2:36am
post #3 of 5

Yes, they are surface icing cracks but they look terrible. Maybe I need to put it on a wooden board for transportion?

Charlotte

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 13 Mar 2005 , 2:46am
post #4 of 5

If that's what caused it, it will keep you from getting anymore. I don't know how to get rid of little surface cracks like that. It happened to me before. Same situation...heavy cake, weak board. I tried to pat out the cracks with my finger but I only made it look worse. Does anyone know how to smooth out little surface cracks?

I had it happen one other time too when I tried the wet spatula smoothing technique on the top of my cake. It worked great on the sides but I'll never use it on the top again.

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 13 Mar 2005 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte

Yes, they are surface icing cracks but they look terrible. Maybe I need to put it on a wooden board for transportion?

Charlotte

Sounds like to me that your cake is too heavy for the board you have it on ... When I do cakes this size I put 3 cake boards together with tape and then my foil before putting the cake on it .. The other thing you can do is get wooden borad and cover that too... There is not going to be anything that your going to be able to do but to scrape it all off and redo your icing and make sure its on a heavier board... Sorry this happen.. But hope these Ideas help..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%