Petit Fours

Decorating By flourgirl2 Updated 7 Nov 2012 , 5:20pm by BakingIrene

Temptations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Temptations Posted 10 May 2007 , 9:41pm
post #61 of 74

Thanks guys. Glad you liked them.

These were so easy it's not even funny.

I used a pound cake box mix and baked them in a mini muffin pan. After levelling off the top flip them over and place on cooling rack. Once completely cool put cooling rack over cookie sheet. Mix up glaze and pour over. Make sure you cover every bit of cake because it's impossible or very hard to touch up without it looking yucky. The coating is very thick and sweet, but I got only raves on flavor. Let dry for an hour or two and gently move to cupcake papers with a large offset spatula. I used regular buttercream to do the rose buds and calyx on top.

Glaze:
6 C powdered sugar
1/2 C water
2 T corn syrup
1 t vanilla or almost extract

Mix together. Adjust thickness by adding powdered sugar to make thicker or water to make thinner. Should be really thick, but pourable. I do not heat mine at all.

You can fill these with a bag and tip just like you would cupcakes.

Hope that helps.

Temptations

RuthWells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RuthWells Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:25pm
post #62 of 74

I'm looking forward to trying these! One idea I might try is to sub some lemon juice for the water in the glaze to cut the sweetness a bit.

hillmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hillmn Posted 12 May 2007 , 5:33am
post #63 of 74

Here is a yummy Petit Four coating, I love making these. I freeze my cake squares and dip them right in the icing and then place on a cooling sheet to harden. If the cake pieces are not frozen, they will crumb.

Turtle Petit Four Icing

3/4 c. butter
1/4 c. oil
1 cup water
1 c. sugar
7 oz. chocolate coating wafers (dark chocolate)
1 1/3 c. sifted cocoa powder

Place butter, oil, and water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add chocolate, stir until melted. Using the whip attachment add sugar and chocolate mixture to mixer bowl. Blend on low until sugar is melted. Add sifted cocoa powder and mix on low until blended. Then blend on medium for 1 minute, and then on high for 1 minute. You will want to use your spatter shield or cover with saran wrap.

Temptations Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:54pm
post #64 of 74

This chocolate one sounds divine! Do you have any pictures of some you did with this coating? Mmmmm.

hillmn Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:52am
post #65 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temptations

This chocolate one sounds divine! Do you have any pictures of some you did with this coating? Mmmmm.

I have made them a couple of times with this coating and I have forgotten to take pictures. I will be making them this weekend for my MIL's birthday. I will post some pictures this weekend. It leaves a smooth, semi shiny, dark coating. I have only used it with chocolate cake. It is very good and so easy to use.

Temptations Posted 16 May 2007 , 5:07pm
post #66 of 74

Looking forward to seeing them. Yeah, with chocolate cake you really need a darker coating. I'm hoping these would be a good compliment to the ones I do. In case I need to do both chocolate and vanilla. Lucky MIL!

hillmn Posted 19 May 2007 , 5:48pm
post #67 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temptations

Looking forward to seeing them. Yeah, with chocolate cake you really need a darker coating. I'm hoping these would be a good compliment to the ones I do. In case I need to do both chocolate and vanilla. Lucky MIL!

I finally completed my Petit Fours with the Turtle Icing. I just drizzled with ivory candy coating. I wanted to do more decorating but got lazy. I can't get the picture to post but they are in my gallery.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:32pm
post #68 of 74

Great information, thanks everyone for the input!

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 2:51pm
post #69 of 74

I just ordered some of the oreo / soap molds... For those that have used them, are there other things that you can do with them?

Thanks icon_smile.gif
Pat

messyeater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messyeater Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:25pm
post #70 of 74

I cover my petit fours in regular fondant...it's much easier than you think and no messing about with pouring or dipping! There are some pictures in my gallery, let me know what you think!

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:15pm
post #71 of 74

For those of you who have used Kate Scotts cake molds, have you tried different cake shapes together, such as round upper with an hexagon bottom and if so, what technique did you use? Since the mold is first coated then "stuffed" with cake I'm thinking that you would do both shapes then cut off the layers to change and recombine to the other shaped cake and then you'd have to touch up somehow.

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:37pm
post #72 of 74

Hello people! I had a petit four this morning from a baby shower and it was sooooo good! I am on a quest now to learn how to make these. BTW why in the heck is this thread under cake disasters? That doesn't bode well for my petit four obsession!

The petit four that I had was a 2" white cake square and it actually wasn't decorated all that great. You could also clearly see the sides of the cake where the icing wasn't very thick. The tasted so good though. The litte paper it was sitting in had some kind of sweet syrupy almond flavored liquid in the bottom. Do you guys coat yours with some kind of sugar syrup before icing them? I called the bakery just to be nosey and they cost $1.50 a piece.

mlightski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlightski Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 4:44am
post #73 of 74

I cannot seem to locate Kathy Scott or Sweet Expectations on either ebay or yahoo.  Anyone know where I might find this kit you so fondly speak of?  Thanks!!!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 5:20pm
post #74 of 74

Poured quick fondant can be made with all kinds of liquids like juice or coffee or with alcohol, as long as there is no fat in them.  LorAnn and Boyajian flavours NOT OILS make this icing taste extremely good.  Maple syrup in place of corn syrup, or honey/water also work.

Poured quick fondant needs to be mixed without all the liquid, warmed to 40C (140F) over hot water, and then the consistency needs to be adjusted with the rest of the liquid.  Keep the bowl of icing at 40C or 140F while pouring.

Put the cakes on a baking rack over a sheet pan, and pour the fondant on with a large tablespoon. You then scrape off and re-warm the drips.

You will get a perfectly smooth THIN layer over crumb coated cake or unmolded fancy shaped cakes.  The warm fondant can be poured over cold buttercream.  It will set with a very thin crust when it cools to room temperature.

Please try this with a 2lb bag of 10X sugar, you will be amazed an the excellent results the first time. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%