Least Sweet Tasting Frosting

Decorating By ceci Updated 24 Oct 2005 , 2:22am by ceci

ceci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceci Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 1:59am
post #1 of 12

I need some help I just got a cake order and thet are asking for the least sweetest frosting on the cake!! does anybody have any suggestions???
I always do buttercream any ideas to make that less sweet??? icon_sad.gif

11 replies
frogfiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogfiend Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 2:28am
post #2 of 12

use the wilton extra special buttercream with the whipping cream and use butter flavoring it cuts the sweetness quite a bit

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 2:34am
post #3 of 12

People say using salted butter, or adding a little salt, or citrus helps cut the sweetness, but really, you should use Italian Meringue Buttercream. Its way less sweet, but it tastes amazing and its SO easy to work with! There is a recipe on this site, or a lot of people use Martha Stewart's recipe.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 2:52am
post #4 of 12

I'm interested in trying the Italian Meringue BC. I've been reading rave reviews about it on here. My concern is that I also read the hot sugar does not heat the eggs enough to prevent salminila. Does anyone know anything about this? Also, does the IMBC crust? Can I use it on a cake that I am putting a FBCT on?

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 3:20am
post #5 of 12

IMBC doesn't crust, and I think it's Just Whites that you can use to make the icing. They're pasteurized egg whites so the risk of salmonella is decreased considerably.

Also, as far as the salt is concerned, I disagree with the idea that it makes it less sweet. Salt enhances all flavors, including sweetness. The best example I can think of is oatmeal. I love sweet oatmeal, but I don't want to use too much sugar so I salt it a bit and I get the same sweet taste with about half the sugar.

soygurl Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 3:41am
post #6 of 12

lol, I personal desagree that salt "cuts the sweetness" too, but a lot of people say they think it does.

As for salmonella concerns, you can get pasturized eggs or egg whites, or you can "cook" the whites over a double boiler while whisking CONSTANTLY and get them up to temp to kill the bacteria with out acctually cooking them. just use a thermometer. I'm sure you could find more detailed instructions online somewhere.

Also, IMB does NOT crust, but it gets really really hard if you refridgerate or freese it, so... I 'm not sure if you could still do a BCT. Maybe try it and see?

DiH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiH Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceci

I need some help I just got a cake order and thet are asking for the least sweetest frosting on the cake!! does anybody have any suggestions???
I always do buttercream any ideas to make that less sweet??? icon_sad.gif

I don't know of any way to cut the sweetness of 2 pounds of sugar. icon_rolleyes.gif

The least sweet buttercream will be the Italian Meringue Buttercream, imo... 'm'm'm. And yes, it does harden when refrigerated... that's the butter firming up -- but it softens nicely when brought to room temperature.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 12

I don't know where that idea started...adding salt to cut the sweeteness? I've heard it so many times and I just figured my tastebuds were off. Glad to see I'm not alone icon_smile.gif Anytime I add salt or use salted butter, it makes the buttercream sweeter. It's like salting watermelon...brings out the sweetness.

In my experience, you can make a Wilton style BC (half butter/half shortening) less sweet by using unsalted butter, a little less sugar (1/4 Cup or so less), more thinning liquid (I use warm water) and beat/mix it longer until it's light and fluffy. It still crusts too but it takes longer.

soygurl Posted 23 Oct 2005 , 12:39am
post #9 of 12

I wonder... would it work to replace some of the powdered sugar in regular BC with cornstarch? That would definatly cut the sweetness, but would the texture be ok? Has anyone tryied this? I know that powdered sugar contains a small persentage of corn starch, but i also know how sticky cornstarch gets when mixed with liquid... but maybe it would be ok if you only replaces 1/2-1 cup?? just a random thought I guess....

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 23 Oct 2005 , 12:54am
post #10 of 12

I haven't tried this at all, but the cut-the-sweetness discussion came up at one of our cake club meetings, and two of the members said they add up to a tablespoon of cake flour to the buttercream to tone it down.

Like I said, I haven't tried it, but it sounds like it's worth a try.

Deanna

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 23 Oct 2005 , 11:35am
post #11 of 12

I have been experimenting with this FOREVER. I STILL can't find a buttercream that's just what I've been looking for. The issue for me is trying to find one that can be mass produced without needing a production line and tons of ingredience and time.

ceci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceci Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 2:22am
post #12 of 12

thank you everybody so much for all your answers, i guess there i'm gonna have to try what all you said. thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%