Italian Buttercream Questions...

Baking By 101dal236 Updated 24 Oct 2005 , 6:35am by catipuss

101dal236 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
101dal236 Posted 21 Oct 2005 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 16

I just finished making Italian Buttercream for the first time. It is one of the best things I have ever eaten!!! I do have a few questions though...

My fist batch did not whip up. Why would that happen? (I did try again, because I knew something must have gone wrong!)

Also, how can I store leftovers? Will it last in the fridge with the eggs in it?

And last, can I serve this at a baby shower? Can you eat this if you are pregnant? Does the syrup get hot enough to kill all the bad stuff? I did use the carton egg whites, would that make a difference? Could I use meraguine powder intsead of egg whites?

Thanks to all who reply! I really love this stuff and want any tips I can get!

15 replies
bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 21 Oct 2005 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 16

yes, real buttercream is wonderful!
icon_biggrin.gif
do you mean the eqq whites didn't whip? i would guess you got some egg yolk or some other substance in them.

i don't make big batches of frosting so not sure if you can keep the leftovers more than a week.

the hot sugar syrup should be enough to kill the bacteria, but recipes vary. i wouldn't serve it at the baby shower.

here's a handy link with info about egg safety
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Egg_&_Egg_Product_Safety/index.asp

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 21 Oct 2005 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 16

Another reason why it didn't whip up could be if the egg white and sugar syrup mixture was too warm when you added the butter. This would cause the butter to melt causing it not to whip up.

I think IMBC can be frozen, thawed to room temp and rewhipped with no problems.

Berta

missmelbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmelbox Posted 21 Oct 2005 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 16

Did you get the Italian buttercream recipe from CC! I wanted to try it myself just to see what it taste like! Sorry-I don't know the answer to your question!

101dal236 Posted 21 Oct 2005 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 16

Actually the egg whites did whip when I started, but after I added the syrup it didn't beat up again! I don't get that!

blittle6 Posted 21 Oct 2005 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 16

Did you let it beat for quite a while? Sometimes I have to let the mixer run for some time. I always get inpatient and add in the butter too soon just to end up making a mess of things!

101dal236 Posted 21 Oct 2005 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks for the butter idea! It might have been that. I didn't wait to long before adding the butter.

The recipe I used was the Martha Stewart Italian Buttercream recipe. I don't know if it is on this site, but I can post it if you can't find it. It is sooooo good!

blittle6 Posted 21 Oct 2005 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 16

If your butter is chilled you can put it in a little sooner but I wouldn't take the chance. If the bowl is warm just wait a little while longer.

Berta

Sory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sory Posted 21 Oct 2005 , 9:44pm
post #9 of 16

Hello, 101dal236!

Did you use the 7- minute frosting, combining the hot sugar syrup with the beaten egg whites? I normally beat them until they`re cooling down. I think that one is safe. I had to make that recipe every fifteen (15) days for my sister-in-law when she was pregnant, and my niece is now 7 years old and very healthy.
Hope this can help!

Good Luck!! thumbs_up.gif
Bye!

Sory Posted 21 Oct 2005 , 9:51pm
post #10 of 16

Hi! Again.
Besyou need to add the syrup very very slow, if not it will not whip right.
I know.. doing this make you feel impatient, I know the feeling but when it`s done, it looks and taste sooo nice!
Well, good luck!
Bye!

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 21 Oct 2005 , 10:08pm
post #11 of 16

I just frosting cakes at a bakery that uses IMB, but I've never made it before. Anyway I know that we keep it in the fridge for quite a while (at least a week or more) and its fine, but in order to soften and re-whip it we have to warm it up first or it will get grainy. So what I do is take it cold and then melt a bit of it in the microwave and add the melted stuff to the cold stuff and whip away untill its all incorporated and soft.

As for serving it at a baby shower, I'd say that it would be ok if you a) used pasturized egg whites (from the carton or a jar, just as long as they are pasturized) or b) "cooked" the egg whites lust ong enough to kill the bacteria. This is what they do where I work (I saw it once). They cook the egg whites over a double boiler while whisking CONSTANTLY until they get to the right temp. (I'm not sure what this is, but I bet you could look it up) using a thermometer.

101dal236 Posted 21 Oct 2005 , 10:10pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks for all the replys. I checked out the egg website and read the fine print on the egg box and I think because the eggs are pasturized they should be fine for anyone to eat! That is good because my little ones loved it too!

gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 21 Oct 2005 , 10:26pm
post #13 of 16

So, can you use meringue powder? I've got a bunch of it and would be great if I could use it for that?

blittle6 Posted 21 Oct 2005 , 10:28pm
post #14 of 16

I think you can use meringue powder but I have never tried it before. I don't know if the taste would be the same or not.

Sory Posted 21 Oct 2005 , 11:33pm
post #15 of 16

waterfallsoygurl is right, I`ve tried that before (double boiler) and it turned out really nice and glossy. A little more work.. but it`s okay!

Bye!

catipuss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catipuss Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 6:35am
post #16 of 16

Does anyone have a recipe for Italian buttercream icing?I would really like to try it. icon_smile.gifjavascript:emoticon('icon_smile.gif')
Smile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%