Egg Nog Cake

Baking By CranberryClo Updated 2 Nov 2005 , 5:35pm by Barbara76

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 21 Oct 2005 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 9

I'm just curious if anyone has tried making a cake with egg nog rather than water/milk and/or the oil? I like the flavor of egg nog and think it'd be great in a cake, but not sure how it would bake up.

Thanks!

8 replies
soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 21 Oct 2005 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 9

I've never done it, but it sounds great! I imagien it would bake fine... I say go for it! and let us know what happens!

CranberryClo Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 9

Well, I've tried twice now.

The first time I used a DH Golden Yellow cake mix, replaced the water with egg nog, added a healthy dash or two of nutmeg and did the rest as per directions. The cake was fine, but the taste of egg nog was not distinct.

The second time (this morning) I used a DH Golden Yellow cake mix, replaced the water with egg nog, added extra nutmeg again, used 1/2 c. melted butter instead of the oil, 3 eggs and 1 packet of cheesecake pudding. I baked at 325 and the last ten minutes or so at 350. It smells lovely! I made one 9" round and 1 of the Course 2 ovals. I had a small piece of the oval (unfroster, unfilled) and it's very good - but very, very rich. Next time I plan on 1/2 pack of pudding and oil instead of butter. The middle of each cake is slightly sunken, so I think this batter was too dense? I did not use a heating core or flower nail - I've never had to with these pans. The taste of egg nog (specifically the aroma of nutmeg) is spot-on.

I think this will be the holiday cake I make when I make cakes for others. I have a cranberry filling that I plan to use with either regular or chocolate buttercream.

Barbara76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbara76 Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 9

I was thinking of trying this with the egg nog flavored coffee creamer since I know that the creamers work well in cakes. They also have a gungerbread flavored one!!

Barbara

CranberryClo Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 9

I actually had the creamer in my cart yesterday before I realized it wasn't egg nog itself.

Do you replace all of the water/milk with creamer? Maybe that would help with the density, too, as the egg nog was super thick.

Barbara76 Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 9

yeah, I just replace the water with the creamer, I used white cake and irish cream creamer, mmmm...

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 9

Sounds like a neat idea. I tried adding flavored creamer to frosting, but it just made it waaaaay too sweet. Adding the creamer to the cakemix sounds like much better.

Never heard of gingerbread creamer. Yum!

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 9

Hey, just read another thread in which some said adding the creamer may cause the cake to sink. Any comments?

Barbara76 Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 5:35pm
post #9 of 9

It didn't for me, but I have only done it once. I used cake mix, used the creamer instead of the water.

I am going to try it again as soon as I go grocery shopping and I can get more creamer, I'll post how it goes this time.

Barbara

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%