Please Help!! Bc Stenciling Question

Decorating By mjs4492 Updated 6 Feb 2007 , 12:37pm by mlwideman

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 2:36am
post #1 of 9

Hi,
I am trying to stencil with buttercream on to a buttercream iced cake (cooled).
I've tried 3 or 4 times now and the image is not all coming out. It's a heart with swirls, etc. When I pull the stencil off, half the swirls aren't there.
What consistency should the buttercream be? Mine is not real thin but definitely not thick.
Please, anyone that can help I am really about to give this up. Only problem is that the cake isn't for me!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

8 replies
AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 2:42am
post #2 of 9

Hi
I have done this twice with once royal and once buttercream. I know royal should be thin. When I used buttercream it was medium to thin. I'm guessing it would be better to be on the thin side. icon_confused.gif I don't know that for sure though.
HTH and sorry I can't help more,
Emily

nickluke0705 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickluke0705 Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 2:58am
post #3 of 9

Have you tried to putting the iced cake in freezer to firm BC more? I have used the Wilton stencils that you press in, and this worked for me. I also thinned out the stenciling frosting. If it is to be chocolate, don't laugh, but I used the kind out of jar/can. Some say you can add corn syrup to make the stenciling frosting smoother. I have done this with chocolate and works like a charm. Good luck.

mlwideman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlwideman Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 9

On the website listed below they have a video on how to use a stencil with bc frosting on a buttercream frosted cake. You should find it helpful.

http://www.designerstencils.com/videos.shtml

mjs4492 Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 9

I watched the video several times. Even went back to see if she told you what the consistency of the icing should be.
My cake has sat out over night now (after re-frosting the top) and I think I'll try the corn syrup to make the icing smooth.

Thanks for your help. After entering my question, my computer crapped out on me icon_cry.gif

mlwideman Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 9

When I have used stencils (all have been using buttercream), I used medium consistency (with a little corn syrup added). It worked well. Good luck to you.

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 9

I just thought of something..
Maybe you are spreading it to thick? or to thin?
When I was practicing it I found that if it was to thick it didn't come out to good.
Just a thought,
HTH

mjs4492 Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 1:07am
post #8 of 9

Well, I gave it another shot this morning - no luck! I put some corn syrup in the icing and it did make it more spreadable! Came out just a bit better than last night but still missing some of the pattern?
I'm not going to give up!!!
Thanks for your help and suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

mlwideman Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 12:37pm
post #9 of 9

I am sorry it isn't working for you. Try going over the pattern with a couple of coats of buttercream to insure you have the whole pattern. Then when you lift the stencil pull straight up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%