I Have A Lot Of Questions...

Business By mami2sweeties Updated 21 Oct 2005 , 2:31am by sweettreasures

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 20 Oct 2005 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 4

Is it a real bad no no to make cakes out of your own kitchen and not a health inspection kitchen?

If I start a home business will the cake police fine me something aweful?

If you have a home business, do you use mixes or can you buy them whole sale for cheaper somewhere?

I am wondering cause where I live there are only 3 cake shops and the one lady sells cake for a reasonable cost I think and I don't think I could make the cake any cheaper and I would not be making too much more after the supplies.

Full sheet cake is $60 filled serves 75-100. I am guessing she tortes and fills and that this is not 2 (2") cakes stacked.
Half sheet cake filled is $30. I think I priced my ingredients at $25 I am thinking I would not make much money.

3 replies
eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 20 Oct 2005 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 4

icon_smile.gif I don't think you are subject to the same rules as that of major bakeries..you don't even need a license (at least here in CA).. as long as you keep your kitchen clean, just so when your customers pick up their cakes and see your clean kitchen, at least they are assured that you practice good baking habbits.. I know people who do it from home. They don't get inspected by City Health Inspectors. thumbs_up.gifusaribbon.gif

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 20 Oct 2005 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 4

Unfortunately, Eve, this is not true. Though many people sell cakes in California without a license and the health department won't come looking for you, it is indeed illegal, according to the conversations I have had with the health department.

Any prepared food items that are sold in California are supposed to come out of a commericial kitchen. This is why people say it is OK to sell cakes if you don't advertise. That way, you stay under the health department radar. If someone should report you, however, you can be fined. That means if a bakery doesn't like that you are selling your cakes and wants to make you stop, they can tell the health department and you can have problems. Similarly, if a client gets mad at you, they can report you and you can be fined.

I am still looking for loopholes and I really would like to do this legally, but so far I can't find any holes in the loops. Sigh.....

Mami2sweeties, I'm not saying don't do this, but know what you are getting into.... The rules may be different where you live. I think California is one of the more strict states. With respect to prices: don't forget that your time is worth something. When/if you decide on prices, you want to make it worthwhile or why turn on the oven in the first place?!

sweettreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreasures Posted 21 Oct 2005 , 2:31am
post #4 of 4

I second everything itsacake stated. It's safe to be legal about your baking business for health/sanitary reasons. I would clear everything first before I start selling cakes.
It's better to be safe than sorry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%