Red Icing

Decorating By Sammy-2002 Updated 20 Oct 2005 , 2:00am by TexasSugar

Sammy-2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy-2002 Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 4

I have a question about making red icing.

I generally try to discourage people from requesting red icing unless it's just a small part of the cake design, just because of the flavor issue. If a design doesn't have much red in it, I usually use the pre-made red that you can buy in a tube.

I had a cake where I needed a lot of red icing, and I used the no-taste red, but found that even with the no-taste, I could taste it!

Any suggestions?

Black too. That's always a bummer.

3 replies
mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 4

I like Americolors better than Wilton, I think it yields a better color with less color.
First for red, Wilton makes a no-taste Red. I've also used the Americolor and made a very bright cherry red and had no problems with the taste.
For black, I start with a chocolate buttercream and add Americolor's black-black. Starting with chocolate avoids the bitterness too.
Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 4

icon_smile.gif That's one color that so difficult to achieve..you can use the whole bottle of Red coloring, and it would still be Pink...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Oct 2005 , 2:00am
post #4 of 4

When making red, you can use a pink color first. Make a deep pink using the pink icing color, then add your red. That away you are not having to go through all the pink stages first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%