Molding Mmf Vs. Candy Melts - Help!!!

Decorating By rachaelwelch Updated 20 Oct 2005 , 5:42pm by gilpnh

rachaelwelch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachaelwelch Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there! This is my very first post on this great site, which I stumbled upon last week and haven't been able to tear myself away since! icon_wink.gif I've made a few shaped cakes, and one tiered one so far (with royal decorations), but I'm making one for my son's 3rd birthday this Saturday, and I have big plans for it. I'm having a Fall, pumpkin patch theme, and I'm planning on doing a sheet cake with a fence around(probably royal), and pumpkins (small pumpkin shaped pans decorated with BC) around the sides. On the top I plan to make a path with graham cracker crumbs, do a patch of pumpkins on one side, then a haystack, and pile of leaves on another. I'd like to model a figure of my son popping out of the pile of leaves. (Please tell me if anyone has any other ideas for it - I'm VERY open to suggestions!) icon_lol.gif

I've read some articles and posts on MMF and candy melts, but I've never used either. What do you think I should mold the figure out of? It will be standing in a small hill of cake covered in BC, so I'll really only need from the torso up. What should I use? Also, when can I begin with forming it? I plan to bake my cakes on Friday, then put everything together at the crack of dawn on Saturday. icon_eek.gif

Any suggestions from you wonderful women would be greatly appreciated!!! thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by flayvurdfun

Well first off welcome and I am certainly glad you posted..... I think its a toss up for which to use... if you have the candy melt mold of course that would be easier, but I find that the candy melts are really really sweet.... and MMF would probably taste better, but if you use that I would find some cutters...I just like the way they look, but its all in the matter of whom is doing it..... so I am sorry I couldnt help more but I am sure you will find help!

rachaelwelch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachaelwelch Posted 20 Oct 2005 , 3:25am
post #3 of 4

sorry for the double post!!! my computer was messing up with me when i posted originally. icon_redface.gif

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 20 Oct 2005 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 4

I have limited work with both of these mediums, I found Candy Clay very easy to mold, you could possibly use a sculpy mold with fondant if you wanted, I have no artistic sense, have to have molds and such.

Good luck, sounds like a lovely cake. Heather

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%