Pulled And Blown Sugar Equipment List

Sugar Work By SugarCreations Updated 16 Sep 2007 , 9:26pm by vickster

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 12:13am
post #1 of 20

The following is a list of equipment you will need at minimum to do pulled and blown sugar work.

1). A good candy thermometer is essential for sugar work. I would not trust those digital ones though.

2).A stainless steel pot or copper pot you can use an enamal one if you have it. Need at least the 2 quart size.

3).A marble slab or silpat. If you do not have either you can use a cookie sheet pan. The marble and sheet pan will have to be lightly oiled if you use those.

4). A metal spatula, or metal dough cutter for turning the sugar. At some point you are going to have to pick up the hot sugar to pull it so be prepared for blisters.

5). A hair dryer with a cool air setting.

6). A rubber bulb pump or one way pump for blowing the sugar.

7). A pair of rubber gloves.

icon_cool.gif. A heat lamp and cooling box.

9). A pair of good scissors.

10). A metal tube for your pump.

I am sure I left something out. I will double check and update it later. Most of this stuff you can get at your local hardware store and some of it you can make yourself.

19 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 12:50am
post #2 of 20

The only item I can think to add is a flame source--an alcohol burner or chef's torch so that you don't have soot issues. As a personal preference, I like wooden blowing tubes. The best prices I've found are at Albert Uster,

http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/store/merchant.mvc?page=ASC/PROD//708001

Other basic suggestions would be to make sure that you've got pure cane sugar--not beet sugar. If the bag says just sugar--it's beet sugar. If it's cane, it has to say cane (Domino, C&H). Distilled water, or tap water left out overnight on the counter uncovered, will give you a "cleaner" product. Sandwich bags are nice for sitting items on if it's humid. The sugar pieces won't stick to the bags.

As for blisters, I found that applying a double coat of that "New Skin" wound care on the spots where I blister most (thumb, middle index joint, & lower middle finger joint of my right hand, and center lower palm of my left palm) really helps. If needed, I also apply waterproof bandaides to the same areas over the New Skin--it gets too damp inside my rubber gloves for plain bandaides.

Have fun if you try this. It's a very quiet, relaxing thing to do--and ANYTHING you do in pulled sugar looks magical thumbs_up.gif

Rae

SugarCreations Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 9:52am
post #3 of 20

Thanks I knew I left something out could not for the life of me remember what it was.

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 10:10am
post #4 of 20

I have the dimmensions to a home made light box if anyone needs them..you can email me at [email protected]

More than happy to send you them along with a pic so you know what I'm talking about when you get them.

Welcome Back Sugar!

copperppot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
copperppot Posted 21 Oct 2005 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 20

Impressive. I would say you have it down pretty well though the one was right about the torch cannot leave that off. You get culinary torches off of E-Bay. Or just go to the hardware store and get a regular propane torch set. All you need is a clean buring flame. Not cutting metal with it you know.l

ConnieSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieSue Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:37am
post #6 of 20

So your hands will burn through the gloves? icon_cry.gif

Methos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Methos Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 1:40am
post #7 of 20

OK...The shopping list was informative.
But, which blow pipe/tube do you recommend and or use yourself?...Metal, Wood, Plastic, or just the rubber tube on a rubber bulb? (IE: the bulb and tubing from a blood pressure cuff.) and does a different tube make a difference in the quality or size of the item? (I have used pulled sugar but, have limited knowledge of the blown variety)

Also, if your handy, you can make your own weave and or light box with a trip to the home improvement centers (it saves some Money and gives you more creativity in size and shape). thumbs_up.gif

Personally, I wear the blisters as a badge of honor! icon_wink.gif ...If you don't have any when done pulling or shaping....you let your sugar get too cool!

Since this is my first post on the site.....I wanted to pass on that it is very informative and a fountain of information to those starting out or looking for new ideas for OLD folks like ME. icon_cry.gif

SugarCreations Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 9:42am
post #8 of 20

Up to you on the tube. You can use a piece of copper tubing, a piece of hollowed out wood or you can buy the tips from pastry supply houses. And yes you can make your own warming box. You can use the bulb and tubing from an old blood pressure cuff. As far as size goes all tubing is the same size when your dealing with blood pressure cuff type stuff.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 20

Oh my goodness, your back posting again? It's been awhile.

SugarCreations Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 9:15pm
post #10 of 20

You sound surprised.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 11:31pm
post #11 of 20

I am, you were having some serious health issues and said you wouldn't be coming back here or on Sugar Buzz. I hope you are doing better by now.

SugarCreations Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 11:46pm
post #12 of 20

Thanks I am.

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 3:53am
post #13 of 20

I'm glad this thread has reappeared..
It has alot of information.
Thanks

teasom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teasom Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 5:58pm
post #14 of 20

I want to start dabbling in pulled/blown sugar. Can somebody please tell me the purpose of the cooling box. I have no idea what one is or what to do with it.

SugarCreations Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 9:11pm
post #15 of 20

Its not actually a cooling box its a warming box. Its a box equipped with a heat lamp to keep the sugar warm while you work with it.

SugarCreations Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 9:11pm
post #16 of 20

Its not actually a cooling box its a warming box. Its a box equipped with a heat lamp to keep the sugar warm while you work with it.

DecoratorJen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratorJen Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 1:12am
post #17 of 20

To keep from burning your fingers you should wear cotton gloves (liners) under your rubber gloves.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 2:09am
post #18 of 20

Another great thread. Thanks so much for sharing.

lillykaci1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillykaci1 Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 7:48pm
post #19 of 20

I would really like to learn how to do this...I just know my DH will have a heart attack when he sees the new stuff I have to buy...lol...

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 9:26pm
post #20 of 20

what about a good book for beginners, what would you recommend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%