Melvira Method.....i Cant Find The Original Post!!!

Decorating By tiffy76620 Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 11:10pm by Melvira

tiffy76620 Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 19

I am starting to work on a tinkerbell cake for a very special 11 year old girl.....so I went out today to my local Home Depot to go buy my "high density" foam rollers and handle. Well........I needed some help and I told the gentlemen what I wanted and he asked me what project I was doing, and I didnt want to tell him.....well I finally broke down and told him and you should of seen the look on his face.....he says I have heard it all now!!! LOL....

I bought the 2 inch, 4 inch and 6 inch with spares. WISH ME LUCK!!!

I will post the outcome tonite. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

18 replies
mareg Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 19

Good luck!

Melvira Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 3:22am
post #3 of 19

Good luck Tiffy... and don't let those weird people talk you down... EVERYTHING can be a decorating tool! Hahahah!

JanH Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 4:35am
post #4 of 19
Lacicakes Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 19

I recently used the foam roller method and it worked just like a dream. I loved it. icon_smile.gif I'm with you and will be getting all the sizes and extras to go with it thumbs_up.gif CC central has been really cool for learning lots of new techniques. As far as I'm concerned this is way better than any culinary school.

waywordz Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 19

Thank you Melvira for the roller idea. I haven't tried your namesake method yet, but, I will. I use those same white foam rollers and when I shared my idea with my cake class of what I used them for; THEY laughed! But, it works great! I use them to shape my bows out of fondant. It is so much easier than using tissue or paper. Your bows are even shaped. They are stable and come in all kinds of sizes. I love those rollers! I bought a set of hair rollers in different sizes next and use them too. Let 'em laugh.

Melvira Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by waywordz

Thank you Melvira for the roller idea. I haven't tried your namesake method yet, but, I will. I use those same white foam rollers and when I shared my idea with my cake class of what I used them for; THEY laughed! But, it works great! I use them to shape my bows out of fondant. It is so much easier than using tissue or paper. Your bows are even shaped. They are stable and come in all kinds of sizes. I love those rollers! I bought a set of hair rollers in different sizes next and use them too. Let 'em laugh.

Oh yah! I have a set of the different sized hair (foam) rollers too and they are great! You're right, let 'em laugh! When you are able to do things so much easier than they are, they will wonder why they laughed.

Shyanne_Mommy Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:15pm
post #8 of 19

Tiffy: You know it was funny when I was looking for the rollers my self the guy at hd ask if could help I just told him to point me in the direction of the foam rollers and he asked the same....my husband looked at him and said don't ask because you won't believer her if she told you... It just had this really blank look so I told him that I was going to use it to paint cakes and after that he left me alone. I am sure he thought I was Bsing, but I was being honest.

Melvira: I just want you to know that I love your method and I use it all the time on my cakes!!!!

Autumn

Melvira Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 19

Bless you Autumn! I am so glad it works for you! That makes me so happy! thumbs_up.gif

Dru329 Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:29pm
post #10 of 19

icon_smile.gif

CNCS Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:38pm
post #11 of 19

I dont know how I did cakes before foam rollers.

Works great for me. My first one I didnt let it crust long enough because I was anxious to do it.

Since then I've waited.

nancylynwallace Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:27pm
post #12 of 19

I love using the Melvira Method! My first try, I too, was too anxious and didn't wait long enough. Patience is a virtue...now it works every time!

Cakes1985 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 8:35pm
post #13 of 19

Hello everyone!

So, I have a wedding cake to do (first one) and I was just wondering what everyone else uses as a "crusting buttercream" recipe. I tried using the high density foam roller and it just took the icing off. Which got me thinking that my buttercream wasn't crusting enough. Anyone have a good crusting buttercream recipe? Or any suggestions as to what could help?

ps. I have been using the Wilton Class buttercream recipe so far...

luvtink_2 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:20pm
post #14 of 19

I am new to all of this and I must say - I am so excited and cannot wait to try the Melvira Method. After seeing people refer to it so much in the forums, I finally found the article to find out what was involved. I will be using this method on Saturday. Thank you soooooo much Melvira!!! You rock!!

Melvira Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:18pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes1985

Hello everyone!

So, I have a wedding cake to do (first one) and I was just wondering what everyone else uses as a "crusting buttercream" recipe. I tried using the high density foam roller and it just took the icing off. Which got me thinking that my buttercream wasn't crusting enough. Anyone have a good crusting buttercream recipe? Or any suggestions as to what could help?

ps. I have been using the Wilton Class buttercream recipe so far...

What brand are your roller heads?? I bought a package of refill heads at WalMart once and they were Rubbermaid brand, I could not make them work to save my life! They just kept picking up the icing and making me CRAZY!!! I pulled out one of the heads from another brand and it worked fine using the same icing!

The Wilton class BC is a crusting recipe and should work just fine!! Make sure you give it enough time to crust, but not too long!

Luvtink... good luck! Let us know how it goes for you!!!

penguinprincess Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:27am
post #16 of 19

I have told Melvira before how wonderful her method it! But I had to say it again!! Thank you sooooo much for sharing your wonderful and incredibly simple technique!! You are a doll!!

BTW, How is Zach doing? And how is his big brother doing? Actually- most important question-- how are you doing?

Thanks again Melvira!!

Melvira Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:10am
post #17 of 19

Thank you penguinprincess! That is super sweet!

We are all doing very well, other than my headaches, thanks for asking!

luvtink_2 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:58pm
post #18 of 19

Ok, so I tried the Melvira Method for the first time this past Saturday. I had a little bit of difficulty, but I think it was my frosting's fault. It took my some time to get the hang of it, but eventually it started to work the way I wanted it to. icon_biggrin.gif Thanks Melvira!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1241432.html

Melvira Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:10pm
post #19 of 19

luvtink, that cake is really cute! Nice work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%