How To Prevent The Sunk In Look Inbetween The Layers?

Decorating By mareg Updated 8 Feb 2007 , 4:42am by mareg

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 12

I'm sure this question has been asked but Ican't find the thread.

I just did a practic layer cake and iced it with bc. Now I can see the indent where the filling/bc is. Did I not pipe enough around the edge and now with the weight of the top layer its sinking in?? HELP please.

PS: can I fix it? I put another layer of bc on and smoothed it....still sunk in.

11 replies
ME2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ME2 Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 12

I think you can pipe your dam then wait a little while for the icing to set up (cover & stick in the fridge for 15 minutes or so) that will help.

Also, make sure your cake is totally cool. I sometimes like to get to the fun part too quickly and ice my cakes when they aren't quite done cooling down/settling....

mareg Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 12

I did let it sit for a while before after Idid the dam....but I think my cake was a little warm too.

I wanted to get to the fun part too!

Can I fix it now after it has set in the fridge about 30 min?

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 12

Mare here is a tip I learned from another decorator years ago and I use it on every cake I make. It works wonders for eliminating the dreaded bulge or line on the sides of the cake between the layers. Use a #10 or 12 round piping tip, make a buttercream dam just inside the edge of the bottom cake, add your filling and the top layer of cake. Now with the same piping tip go around that space on the sides of the cake where the two layers meet. Pipe a line of icing to fill in that space, then go back with an icing spatula, smooth the line and crumb coat as usual, chill the cake and then ice with the final coat of icing.

mareg Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 12

I bet that works great! Thanks for the tip!

josilind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josilind Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 12

That has happened a couple of times to me also. But on the times I did not have time to correct it, I just made decorative designs along that line to cover it up, so now your mistake is PRETTY and no one notices, they see the designs.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 12

Shirley, I do that too. It works wonders. I think of it as "caulk." Once the cake is torted and stacked, I use the icing to "caulk" every gap I see - the ones between the two layers, anyplace the cake may have torn, etc.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 12

I do what Shirly & jmt do.

milal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milal Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 4:16am
post #9 of 12

I like the term caulk for cakes. Caulking hides alot of indescretions!

mareg Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 5:42am
post #10 of 12

I will def. do the next layer cake! Thanks!! Here is the final product...I don't like it that much but practice, practice! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 8:54pm
post #11 of 12

mareg we love jack!!!! shirley that is such a good tip thanks!!!!!

mareg Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 4:42am
post #12 of 12

This is a practice of the fbct for the Nightmare Before Christmas H.S. Band cake. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%