Looking For Something Decedant

Baking By melissavisnicsheffel Updated 22 Nov 2005 , 11:42am by momlovestocook

melissavisnicsheffel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissavisnicsheffel Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 23

I'm taking a cake to a Moms Night Out party later this week and am looking for something really decedant...something that will make everyone roll their eyes and groan out loud, LOL. Anybody have any REALLY great recipes or ideas? Thanks in advance.

Melissa S.

22 replies
Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 23

Melissa S.
Welcome to CC.

You can find one from our CC's gallery titled "Mother's Day Cakes" There are lots of nice cakes.

Thanks
Nitu

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 23

Chocolate, Chocolate and more chocolate? icon_wink.gif That'd work for me.

I'd say chocolate cake, with a chocolate or carmel filling and ganache on top. icon_biggrin.gif

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 23

kaluha cake covered w/chocolate glaze. thumbs_up.gif the kahlua is strong flavoring so you can use a chocolate cakemix and no one will notice.

momlovestocook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momlovestocook Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 23

I have a recipe for caramel chocolate ganache that is thickenough to frost with and do borders. I'll write up the recipe if you want. It is really decadent-people were making the swoon noises when they had some last week.
Sandra

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 12:07am
post #6 of 23

Hi, I think your caramel chocolate ganache sounds really good, I would love to have it if you don't mind. Janice

veejaytx Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 12:23am
post #7 of 23

Hi, I think your caramel chocolate ganache sounds really good, I would love to have it if you don't mind. Janice

veejaytx Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 12:25am
post #8 of 23

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 12:34am
post #9 of 23

Well Janice, you like the sound of that so much you posted it 3 times! icon_lol.gif
I think it sounds great too. I'd love to have the recipe.

I'm going to go with everyone else on this one - chocolate with ganache. Maybe mocha filling and chocolate espresso beans on top.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 12:46am
post #10 of 23

Check out the "Jerry Cake with Strawberries" in my photos. I have made many a friend over that one.

melissavisnicsheffel Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 1:10am
post #11 of 23

I'd say chocolate cake, with a chocolate or carmel filling and ganache on top. icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

That's exactly what I was thinking about but my local cake shop doesn't sell a caramel filling and I can't find a recipe for one. Do you think it would be possible to use a caramel ice cream topping?

Also, the ganache recipes listed in the recipe section of CC aren't ranked very high...just one or two stars. Does anyone have a better one?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Melissa S.

melissavisnicsheffel Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 1:12am
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlovestocook

I have a recipe for caramel chocolate ganache that is thickenough to frost with and do borders. I'll write up the recipe if you want. It is really decadent-people were making the swoon noises when they had some last week.
Sandra

That would be awesome! Thanks!
Melissa S.

christiethomas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christiethomas Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 1:32am
post #13 of 23

I would really like the chocolate/caramel ganache recipe. Thanks!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 1:54am
post #14 of 23

Melissa, I got a caramel filling recipe from here, posted by Abbey. It is my favorite filling now and OH SO GOOD! All you need is:

1 jar or caramel ice cream topper
1 softened block of cream cheese
1-2 cups of powdered sugar.

Mix that all together in a bowl and you're done. I just used my hand mixer for this...just make sure your cream cheese is softened. I think I only used about a cup of the topping too and only about a 1/2c - 1c of sugar. It's already sweet enough for me.

I used it for a filling of a chocolate chocolate chip cake and it was so yummy.

I made a whipped ganache for the first time a few weeks ago. Just heat one cup of heavy whipping cream to almost boiling. Remove it from the stove and pour in 1 cup of chocolate. Whisk together until the chocolate is all melted. I then put the pot in an ice bath (bigger bowl with cold water and ice) and continued whisking until it cooled.

I was going to pour this over my cake but then decided to run it through the KA. I used the whisk attachment and it whipped beautifully and smoothed on my cake like butter!

Good luck....my mouth is now watering. icon_razz.gif

Mac Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 2:30am
post #15 of 23

Melissa--
My ganache recipe is:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 Tblsp. butter

Heat to just boiling--stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and pour over 12 oz. of chocolate chips (I use Giradelli), let sit for 5 minutes then whisk till smooth. Cool to room temp then pour over cake.

momlovestocook Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 12:54pm
post #16 of 23

Here's the caramel ganache recipe. It's a little work but sooooo good. It's from Herme's chocolate desserts. There is something about his recipes that taste light on the tongue but are really rich. The cake should be in the fridge once decorated but take out an hour or so before serving so the ganache is not too hard. Also, you want the best chocolate you can get.

Chocolate caramel ganache

6 ½ ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped(food processor works great)
4 ½ ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped

combine chocolate in a heat proof bowl and set aside

2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 ½ tbsp salted butter
1 cup plus 2 tbsp whipping cream

1 ½ cups unsalted butter(3 sticks)

Put one third of sugar in the bottom of heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat. When it starts to melt, stir with wooden spoon. Once completely melted, add another third of the sugar. Once that is melted, add the last third of sugar. Cook till amber color reached(be careful it does not burn). Add butter-careful it will foam up. Once butter is combined, add the cream. Bring the cream to a boil. Pour half of this over the chocolate and stir until smooth(the small the chocolate is chopped, the faster it will combine). Once smooth, add the rest of the cream and stir until smooth.

While the chocolate mixture cools, take the room temperature butter and with either the mixer on low speed(paddle) or with a rubber spoon, soften until it looks like mayonnaise. Do this slowly-you do not want a lot of air in the butter. It should take about 10 minutes.

Gently stir the butter into the chocolate with a rubber spatula-you dont want a lot of air bubbles. Stir until the mixture is smooth-this can take a little while.
Let sit for an hour or so, stirring occasionally until spreadable consistency. The longer it sits, the thicker it gets. I was able to pipe borders with it once it had cooled enough.

Sandra

melissavisnicsheffel Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 12:54pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

Melissa--
My ganache recipe is:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 Tblsp. butter

Heat to just boiling--stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and pour over 12 oz. of chocolate chips (I use Giradelli), let sit for 5 minutes then whisk till smooth. Cool to room temp then pour over cake.

Sounds yummy but here's a question sure to reveal just how much of a beginner I am...do you pour the ganache over your regular icing or do you use it INSTEAD of your regular icing?

Thanks.
Melissa

melissavisnicsheffel Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 12:57pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

Melissa, I got a caramel filling recipe from here, posted by Abbey. It is my favorite filling now and OH SO GOOD! All you need is:

1 jar or caramel ice cream topper
1 softened block of cream cheese
1-2 cups of powdered sugar.

Good luck....my mouth is now watering. icon_razz.gif

I'm definately going to use this. Thanks!
Melissa

Mac Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 6:38pm
post #19 of 23

Melissa--
You can use it either way. I prefer to frost with chocolate buttercream first then pour on the ganache. Nothing like going into chocolate overload and, by golly, some days we just need that. Ha! Ha!!!

TexasSugar Posted 20 Oct 2005 , 2:46am
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissavisnicsheffel

Do you think it would be possible to use a caramel ice cream topping?

Yes that is what I do. Just make sure it is the thick kind.

You can also make Dulce De Leche:

"Boil a can of sweetened condenced milk (not evaporated milk), unopened and always covered with water, boil for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, the longer you boil the thicker it is, it comes out a caramel, be sure to open the can when it is completely cool."

I use Wilton's Ganache recipe. I have seen others, but this one has always worked well and tasted good to me. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 20 Oct 2005 , 3:10am
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

You can use it either way. I prefer to frost with chocolate buttercream first then pour on the ganache. Nothing like going into chocolate overload and, by golly, some days we just need that. Ha! Ha!!!

I agree with this! Not only can you not have too much chocolate, BUT it helps give you a pretty cake in the end. If you torte and fill the cake, icing it with buttercream will give you a smoother surface to add your ganache too.

So extra hints to ganache:
Ice your cake on a cake board that is the same size. Place the cake and cake board on a wire rack over a cookie sheet. I usually use wax paper on the cookie sheet so you can easily save the left over.

Chill your cake, so that it is very cold. By pouring ganche over a cold cake it will help you get a thicker layer of ganache on it.

Let this harden up. Then move your cake and cake board to a larger cake board. Decorate and enjoy! icon_smile.gif

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 6:41am
post #22 of 23

momlovestocook - I made the caramel chocolate ganache tonight and YUMMY! It tastes fantastic. I hope I did it right. The butter (3 sticks!!!!!) is supposed to melt into the chocolate, right?

momlovestocook Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 11:42am
post #23 of 23

Yes, the butter is supposed to melt into the ganache. Glad you like it.

Sandra

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%