lilladycreations Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:20pm
post #1 of

HOW DO I MAKE GRASS OUT OF SATIN ICE. I MAKE A FEW THINGS LAST NIGHT OUT OF THE SATIN ICE. I JUST TOTALLY LOVE THE STUFF. HAVEN'T COVERED A CAKE YET. THIS IS MY FIRST POST ON THIS WONDERFUL WEBSITE. icon_eek.gif

15 replies
sdfgarcia Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:23pm
post #2 of

I'm not sure how you would use Satin ice to make grass, but you can use a Wilton tip #233 with buttercream. It makes hair, too.

If you're going to use fondant, it seems like you would need to shred it, maybe use a fine cheese grater?

Good luck, and be sure you post your pictures!

Nitu Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:27pm
post #3 of

sdfgarcia
Thanks for telling about tip 233. I need that.

Thanks again
Nitu

jekizer Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:34pm
post #4 of

Tip 233 is a great investment. I have used it for fur, grass and hair. I only wish they made a bigger version of it.

thecakemaker Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:39pm
post #5 of

To make grass out of satin ice you need the extruder (i use a clay extruder). Use the disk with all the holes in it and push the satin ice through it.

Debbie

Welcome to CC!

jekizer Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:41pm
post #6 of

Sorry to ask this question.... but what is satin ice?

Nitu Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:45pm
post #7 of

jekizer, you should check this topic.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-8232.html

Thanks
Nitu

jekizer Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:48pm
post #8 of

Thanks Nitu!!!

Calejo Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:51pm
post #9 of

Well, you could use a garlic press (assuming you haven't used it to press garlic), or you could roll out a long ribbon of Satin Ice and then just use an exacto knife or a very sharp knife to cut thin strips in it.

Nitu Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:52pm

You are very welcome.icon_smile.gif

Thanks
Nitu

thecakemaker Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 3:16pm

A garlic press would work great too Calejo! I've also heard of pressing it through a strainer. I guess anything with holes in it could work.

Debbie

GinaJuarez Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 3:28pm

I'm curious to know if this is where some people use the playdough play sets? I know I have seen people on here say they use them, but never what they use them for.

thecakemaker Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 3:31pm

Yes it is GinaJuarez. There are conflicting accounts as to whether or not the playdough extruders will hold up to fondant though. I've heard yes and no. I almost purchased a playdough extruder but never did so I can't tell you for sure. I use a plastic clay extruder but that can be hard on the hands.

Debbie

adven68 Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 8:09pm

I use a lot of play-doh instruments, cutters, etc.....but the extruders are very hard on the hands.....I'm looking for a "real" one if anyone knows of any!

stephanie214 Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 2:35am

jekizer,

I just brought a larger tip #234 made by Marpol.

It really produces a much larger result.

chyna Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 4:31am

what would a meat grinder do? The kind with the plates on the end, and the "hopper" top that you wind.....plates have holes in them..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%