Please Help~

Decorating By yanna Updated 17 Oct 2005 , 10:24pm by okieinalaska

yanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yanna Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 8

Hello!
I just finished the first course of the Wilton cake decorating classes and learned how to ice the cake and etc. The main problem for me is that the icing (Buttercream) we've used in this class -- nobody in my family likes it because it is sooooo sweet. My question is if there is any other replacement buttercream recepeis or icing that I would be able to ice the cake and also decorate it with roses and etc...
thank you for your help!

7 replies
HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 8

Hello,
I just tried a variation on the Wilton Class recipe this weekend and I love it and it doesn't seem as sweet to me. It's from the Wilton yearbook (in the back with all the recipes). It's the same as the class recipe but instead of using all shortening, use half shortening and half butter. It does give it an ivory shade but it's not too bad. You don't have to add the butter flavor to this one. I loved it. You could try it and see if you like it better. It's not greasy like the all shortening and it is wonderful to smooth. I did not try any roses with it but I imagine it would be just fine. You can still get the stiff consistency you need for roses. I'm going to use this recipe all the time now. I loved it that much! And it's also great in chocolate (you just add 3/4 cup of cocoa and a couple more tablespoons of water/milk).
HTH,
Heather

blueskies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueskies Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 8

I agree the half butter, half shortening tastes much better and is just as easy to work with.

rainbowz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbowz Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 8

Are they both equally good for flower-making, though? Or should one simply go for something else to make flowers with?

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 8

I use half butter and half crisco for everything I do. No problems here.
Everyone likes my icing give it a try

kendraanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendraanne Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 8

I've had the same problem with my family...most of them think the Wilton Class Buttercream Icing is too sweet. So, after hearing so much about Creme Bouquet flavoring from this website, I bought some awhile back. I used it for the first time this weekend and it was a huge hit!! icon_biggrin.gif The flavor of the creme bouquet really cut down on the sweetness of the icing, so I now plan to keep it in my cabinet at all times! Plus, it seemed to give my icing more of a creamy texture. You might want to give that a try!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 8

Try adding in a dash of salt to your water. That will help cut the sweetness.

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 8

Try the dream whip recipe too! It's wonderful and not too sweet. It has a little flour in it which sounds horrible but you can't taste it and it does cut the sweetness. : ) And it crusts nicely so you can smooth with a paper towel if you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%