Should I Make My Own Bday Cake?

Decorating By AngelWendy Updated 18 Oct 2005 , 3:33am by culinarilyobsessed

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 9:29am
post #1 of 28

Today is my birthday. I don't think my DH is going to be making me a cake (as he doesn't know how to at all) nor is he planning to get me one. I really want to have one.. but.. Should I make one for myself? Is that more lame than not having one?

Thanks..
~Angel

27 replies
frulund2600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frulund2600 Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 9:48am
post #2 of 28

first: Happy birthday to you!

second: you should make a birthday cake for yourself. That way you get exactly what you want and maybe you can try out some techniques you haven't tryed yet. Maybe your DH don't like to buy you one, because the ones he can get isn't up to your standard?

Happy baking

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 10:28am
post #3 of 28

I totally agree!! MAKE IT! And do what YOU want and use it as a chance to practice something or try something new!! And....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 11:13am
post #4 of 28

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WENDY!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif AND I agree make yourself your favorite flavor cake and icing and take time sitting back and decorating it and enjoy it. (Or if you would rather just slop that icing on there)..lol I hope your day is a wonderful one!

pooker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooker Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 11:17am
post #5 of 28

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Yeah, make yourself one...and indulge on all the goodies you like on cakes!

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 11:18am
post #6 of 28

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
If you feel like making it make it. It's your birthday so do whatever makes you happy!

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 11:50am
post #7 of 28

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! I ALWAYS MAKE MY OWN AND THAT UPSETS MY MIL. SHE INSISTS ON BUYING ONE FROM THE STORE AND EVERY YEAR SHE MAKES A BIG FUSS THAT I SHOULDN'T MAKE MY OWN. I TELL HER I WANT TO TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT AND SHE GETS UPSET BUT SHE GETS OVER IT. HAVE A GREAT DAY AND DO WHAT YOU WANT, IT'S YOUR DAY! ENJOY!

momlovestocook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momlovestocook Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 11:51am
post #8 of 28

My birthday was last monday and I made my own cake. That way I actually had a birthday cake!!! and, I had a cake that was really good.
Nothing wrong with making your own cake.

Sandra

Tamanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tamanna Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 12:35pm
post #9 of 28

Happy Birthday to you.

I made my own bday cake and that too a barbie for myself .... at age 33 a barbie... but that is what i wanted.... so here you are you can make anything for yourself, just the way you like it. go freak out, happy baking, happy cake decorating....

and Happy Birthday again.

krissy_kze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissy_kze Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 12:40pm
post #10 of 28

First off..HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

I was thinking the same thing about my upcoming birthday. My sister said she'd make me a cake. If no one would have I would have ordered one from a prominent bakery here in town. I wouldn't mind sampling someone elses hard work.

Hope you have a great day!

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 12:57pm
post #11 of 28

Happy birthday AngelWendy!! party.gifbirthday.gif

I would make it...I'm planning on making my own b-day cake in Dec.

Hope you have all your birthday wishes come true!
~Denise

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 1:05pm
post #12 of 28

First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY my fellow Libra! party.gif

2nd: Heck ya, make your own cake if you want to! It's your birthday and you can do whatever you want! My birthday is on Thursday 10/20 and my parents are giving me a little shin-dig on Sunday with a bunch of family and friends and I'll be making my cake for that! I don't see anything wrong with it, after all, if it truly makes you happy. just do it!
The great thing about making your own cake, you make it what ever flavor your heart desires! Try something different, try that recipe you've been saving for years, or make your all time favorite. What ever you make, MAKE YOUR SELF HAPPY icon_biggrin.gif

Have a beautiful birthday!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 1:12pm
post #13 of 28

..sure, go ahead and make your own cake! Nobody knows what you like, better than you!!

DiH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiH Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 1:19pm
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWendy

Today is my birthday. I don't think my DH is going to be making me a cake (as he doesn't know how to at all)

My only birthday request a few years ago was that my husband bake (from scratch) and decorate my birthday cake. He's a computer geek from waaaaay back; the only thing he can semi-operate in the kitchen is the microwave. With step-by-step supervision, however, he mixed and baked a pretty terrific cake... although I did leave the house tho' when he started decorating. hehehe
LL
LL

krissy_kze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissy_kze Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 1:27pm
post #15 of 28

DiH, My DH made a me a couple cakes from scratch. He was so stinkin' proud of himself icon_smile.gif They tasted good too. His mom used to make cakes so he had a good tutor growing up. I think he had clothes on though. LOL!

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 2:25pm
post #16 of 28

I always make my own because store bought baked good are not allowed in this house. and i get what i want.

ken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ken Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 5:45pm
post #17 of 28

Happy Birthday! I'm planning my cake now and my birthday isn't until Jan 2. Unfortunately my husband is on deployment and won't be able to enjoy the cake with me, so I figured I'm going to make me the BEST cake I've made yet. Treat yourself to what YOU want!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 9:36pm
post #18 of 28

I didn't actually have a cake for my own birthday, but I made one for my nephew who's birthday is two days before mine and got to enjoy that with him.

I did make a tiny little cake from the "trimmings", too bad the cake was so nearly flat! Janice

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 9:40pm
post #19 of 28

Oh, I forgot! DiH, I was all set to ask if your DH was wearing anything under the apron, but you answered it for me. He did a great job on the cake, that was a really neat birthday gift to you!
Janice

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 9:49pm
post #20 of 28

I like the idea of having DH create a cake all on his own....not sure if I'd want to eat it or not though.

I say go ahead make a delicious cake and the enjoy it with the people you love and have a wonderful birthday!!

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 10:19pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWendy

Today is my birthday. I don't think my DH is going to be making me a cake (as he doesn't know how to at all) nor is he planning to get me one. I really want to have one.. but.. Should I make one for myself? Is that more lame than not having one?

Thanks..
~Angel

I was trying to attach a picture of a Clown Birthday cake just for you but it wouldn't let me..too big...

Let me search around..my pics..see what I can come up with!

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 10:23pm
post #22 of 28

DiH, That is too funny! I am at work and trying not to giggle too loud. How wonderful it was for him to make you a cake and the pictures you got of him are worth a 1000 words. (and good for blackmail if he starts acting up, LOL)

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 10:27pm
post #23 of 28

Ooooh, Nakid Bakin'...

Let's make that a new forum..lol

Or at least a new Olympic Sport?

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 1:18am
post #24 of 28

THats funny!!! Dih
DO it make your cake and eat eat it too!!!

make yourself something you always wanted to try.....

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 1:30am
post #25 of 28

Happy Birthday!!
It's your day so just do whatever makes you happy! icon_biggrin.gif If you feel like making your own cake then make it. If not then don't!!! Have a good one

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 1:53am
post #26 of 28

HAPPY BIRTHDAY icon_lol.gif
If you want to make your own cake I think you should, if not at least get your husband to take you out to dinner! icon_biggrin.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:22am
post #27 of 28

Happy Birthday fellow Libra!

I baked my own and it was great. If I didn't, my boyfriend was going to Costco. Nuh uh! I gave most of it away but it was my chance to try a few things I've been wanting to try, including a whipped chocolate ganache.

culinarilyobsessed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
culinarilyobsessed Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 3:33am
post #28 of 28

Happy Birthday!!!!

So what did you decide?? Did you bake your own cake?? If so I hope you took some photos to show us icon_smile.gif

I see nothing wrong with baking your own cake if that's what your heart desires. My heart desires for someone else to bake or atleast buy me a decent cake for my birthday. For me it's more knowing that someone took the time to make that effort to make my day special. I don't need a big deal made of my birthday..just feed me & I'm good lol

Hope your Birthday has been wonderful!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%