Mailing A Cake

Decorating By sgirvan Updated 10 Mar 2005 , 6:51pm by sgirvan

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 6:03am
post #1 of 8

My mother in laws b-day is coming up at the end of the month and I would like to mail her a nice caek. Has anyone mialed cakes before and if so how did you package them? What kind of cake and icing would you do so that it doesn;t get all smooshed?

7 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 8:28am
post #2 of 8

that may not be a good idea. the only cake you can probably mail, is one that requires no icing. the post office does not take care when it comes to edibles. they can't guarantee that it will get there the way it was sent.
i don't know of anyone who has mailed a frosted cake.

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgirvan

My mother in laws b-day is coming up at the end of the month and I would like to mail her a nice caek. Has anyone mialed cakes before and if so how did you package them? What kind of cake and icing would you do so that it doesn;t get all smooshed?

Your best bet is to find another cake decorator that is in her area and have her do the cake for you. Mailing cakes is not the easiest thing to do and get there in one piece.. Unless your able to do overnight and get the special boxes that is needed to do this.. And that is quite pricey..

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 8

This is a good question... I wonder how people in Mexico, Japan and such get their cakes to conventions here.....cakemommy is at one now I believe and people send their cakes to have them there...... I wouldn't!

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 1:18pm
post #5 of 8

I have heard others talk about it on different boards in the past and know that it can be done. Polly's Cakes ships any of their fondant cakes all over the country (and have been for 11 years), but not buttercream. They ship them overnight FedEx.

You might could try a fondant-covered cake, go to your local mailing/packaging store for help with packaging, and try shipping FedEx overnight. But do remember, as Ladycake said, this will be expensive!

Good luck to you!!

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 8

Hmm. I know some speciality shops can send cakes frosted, but not sure how. I'd say if you are going to do that, make sure you cover it with fondant for the most durability and lifespan.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 1:50pm
post #7 of 8

The airlines offer a service...I think it's called counter to counter or something like that. Basically, the cake is handled and delivered by hand the entire trip.

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 8

thanks guys, I didn't know how people did that. I was thinking that I could probably get away with a small 6inch fondant covered cake.
I'll let you know how it turns out once she receives it.

Shayla

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%