Not Cake - Need Recipe For Sweet Potato Pecan Pie

Baking By alimonkey Updated 18 Oct 2005 , 3:21am by veejaytx

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 13 Oct 2005 , 2:39am
post #1 of 10

All you southerners need to come to my rescue. DH has been bugging me for a SPPP and the recipes I've tried so far have been mediocre. The last one was from Emeril, who I don't particularly like, but have had pretty good success with the recipes of his that I've tried. Anyway, only 2 slices of the pie got eaten.

So now I'm looking for a tried and true recipe in time for Thanksgiving, and if ya'll icon_biggrin.gif can help me, I'd be much obliged!

9 replies
Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 13 Oct 2005 , 2:51am
post #2 of 10

I haven't personally made one but I have had lots of success with recipes from recipezaar.com. If you do a search a few recipes will popup. Maybe you could compare those to what you have and maybe it will work out better. I tend to combine recipes a lot myself. Also, if you can get a copy of Pie by Ken Haedrich it's a really good book on pie. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Best of luck in your quest for the best recipe!

mrgrimm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrgrimm Posted 13 Oct 2005 , 2:55am
post #3 of 10

You will find a good one on foodnetwork.com by Emeril Lagasse. It even has a sweet pie crust recipe to go with it.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 13 Oct 2005 , 3:17am
post #4 of 10

Ali, I have one called Pumpkin Praline Pie, it won Emeril's Thanksgiving Contest in 2000. I haven't tried it, but it sounds good. Is this the one you've used? If you want it, I can send it to you. It looks like you do the pumpkin filling and the praline layer is actually the crust. Janice

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 10

I have a recipe for "sweet potato pone" that I love, and I bet it could be adopted to use for pie... just put it in a crust.

[list=]1 lb. sweet potato
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup real maple syrup (corn syrup works in a pinch)
1/3 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/2 cup choped nuts

1) Bake or microwave sweet potato until cooked. Peel and roughly chop. Mash with a potato masher (should end up with about 1 cup).
2) Stir in butter (if the potato is still warm, otherwise melt the butter first).
3) beat in sugar, maple syrup and milk. Add eggs. Stir in spices and then nuts.
4) poor into a greesed 9" baking pan (or pie crust I guess).
5) Bake for 1 hour in an oven preheated to 350 F, or until a knife comes out cleen.
6) serve with ice cream or whiped cream.

You may want to double the recipe for a pie... I'm not sure.
Hope this helps.[/list]

alimonkey Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:15am
post #6 of 10

mrgrimm - I think that's the recipe I tried last year. Nobody really cared for it, which is why I'm still on the lookout.

Janice - I would be evah so grateful if you would send me the recipe! Not sure it's what DH is looking for but if it's good, who cares, right? icon_biggrin.gif

waterfallsoygurl- This sounds yummy. I will give this a shot as is for dinner. I have some sweet potatoes right now that need to be used.

What DH has in mind is sweet potato on the bottom, traditional pecan pie on top. He actually made a very successful one a few years back but is not in the habit of writing down what he does so numerous efforts to recreate it have failed.

Personally I prefer pumpkin pie since that's what I was raised on, but we always want to please everyone, don't we? icon_smile.gif

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:26am
post #7 of 10

Alimonkey..

got one for you.

Pecan Sweet Potato Pie

( clasic single crust 9 inch pie)

2 cups milk
2 tablespoons grated orange zest
1/4 cup orange juice
1 1/2 cups cooked sweet potato puree
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup unsalted butter or margarine
3 eggs, separated
3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 425 F
Prepare your pie pastry
Line the pie pan with the dough. Trim and crimp edges
Scald the milk. Add the orange zest, remove from heat and stir in the orange juice, sweet potato, sugar , salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter and nuts.

Beat the egg yolks and stir into the sweet potato mixture. Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.

Fold in the egg whites. Turn the fillin into the crust.

Bake at 425 F..for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 F and bake 35 minutes more or until golden brown.

* Diva made an oops!..but fixed it..lol

alimonkey Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:29am
post #8 of 10

Diva - am I missing something? Where do the pecans come in?

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:34am
post #9 of 10

actually, the coarsly chopped pecans are to be added to the sweet potato mixture.

SO do all your mixing and folding ( to keep mix aeriated) then add the nuts, quickly, trying not to loose the air you just added with the whipped egg whites.

Sorry!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 3:21am
post #10 of 10

Alimonkey, this should be the link for the recipe so you can print it: http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/pumpkinpralinepie.html

I'd just copy what you want off the page and paste it into your word processing program.

Let me know if the link doesn't work. Janice

Look on the right side of the page, looks like some good recipes there too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%