Fair Theme Cake

Decorating By suzyqqq27 Updated 9 Mar 2005 , 9:29pm by jscakes

suzyqqq27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzyqqq27 Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 6:26am
post #1 of 10

I need suggestions/advice for a fair-themed cake. I'm entering our county fair in the cake decorating class for the first time and am so nervous. It's supposed to have a "fair" theme and be no bigger than 9x13. I was thinking maybe a ferris wheel? I can't find any pics online. When they say no bigger than 9x13, does that mean you can't do a 3D or sculptured cake?

Any advice would be appreciated,
Suzanne M.

9 replies
jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 6:57am
post #2 of 10

wow...only 9x13 limits you with decorating. The ferris wheel on one end with a type of entry into the fair on the other end with little fair stuff in between...should be cute whatever you do.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 8:51am
post #3 of 10

I would imagine it doesnt. I think they dont want the tier cakes, or full sheet cakes. But maybe you should call and find out for sure. But I would imagine a ferris wheel would be great.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 10

Well- I had the same idea as jscakes...but I came up with another one.
Take the 9x13 and decorate it like a farm animal judging area.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 10

I entered both the county and the state fairs last year for the first time. Their rules left a lot to interpretation. The only thing clear was no larger than 9 x 13 and everything had to be edible. I ended up with the cowboy hat cake (it didn't say how high it could be) and the gift package cake (8" x 8" with a bow on top). If it doesn't say specifically you might want to call otherwise if it just says 9 x 13 consider that base size.

good luck to you!

Debbie

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 10

Wow! Our fair regulations only state how tall- not the base size... and we were given a theme, this year it's "Come be a Kid Again!"

I entered the buttercream division, fondant division, cheesecake and chocolate cake divisions.

thecakemaker Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 10

We had Shower Cakes, Novelty Cakes, Birthday Cakes and Celebration Cakes. We did not have a buttercream vs. a fondant division. I had the only two fondant entries in the fair. No theme. The State fair did have a couple theme divisions though. My entries at the state fair were the only fondant entries also.

Debbie

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 10

Wow- this post has inspired me to look at entering some cakes in our local fair. Now I just have to find out details!

thecakemaker Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 10

I didn't even realize they had decorated cakes at the fair until a co-worker asked me if I was going to enter anything. She had talked to someone that entered several a year at the State fair and thought mine looked better than hers. I looked into the County Fair when it came around and entered there at first. Just imagine my surprise when I won both divisions I entered! I had no idea what to expect or what level of skill would be there. I was happy that there was plenty of competition and I still won! I got my first wedding cake order from that entry! I did so well there that I entered into the State fair and won both divisions that I entered there! When I showed up at the State fair with my entries they took one look and asked me if I was the one that won the county fair. I must have made an impression! I'm almost afraid to enter this year!

Debbie

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 10

I don't think we have a decorated cake division in our local fair, but we do of course have a pie entry that my hubby wants me to put in for (peach). Too many pie bakers that have been there for tooooooo long to go up against! I imagine the size limits taking up all the room on the display counters/tables and they have to be careful not to run out of the alloted space...so make a bigger space! That would be very difficult to judge, but how fun! How thrilling to win, I bet that is exciting!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%