Getting Rid Of Chalky Patches

Sugar Work By JacsMommy Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 3:42am by Zombiecakes

JacsMommy Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyone tell me how to make my molded candy melts shiny? Can I brush them with something? I think I stuck the molds in the fridge too soon, so they ended up with those chalky looking patches and I need a quick fix for it. Thanks.

6 replies
GIAcakes Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 7

Yes that's what mine have! I just posted something on this this morning. How frustrating. Mine also stuck to the molds!

CakeQueen52485 Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 9:53am
post #3 of 7

Try mixing in a 1/2 teaspoon of vegetable oil per full bag of melts. And I had the same problem with my candy sticking to the molds as well. I found out that by simply painting the molds with some crisco first helped them to pop right out, and thay were also pretty shinny looking too.

DianeLM Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 7

First of all, do not EVER wash your candy molds with soap or detergent. That will ruin the finish. Rub the inside of your mold with a soft cotton cloth. This will help return the sheen.

Also, your chocolate may have been overheated.

There really isn't anything you can do to fix the spots without causing a different problem. If you have confectioners glaze, you can paint a coat on and that will make your candy shiny.

Zombiecakes Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 7

Am I correct in assuming that once the melts have gotten chalky from overheating they cannot be re-melted without the same problem happening again when they solidify?

BlakesCakes Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 7

I think you can re-melt them and have a better result the next time--just don't get them too hot and stir them very well.

You're re-incorporating the fat that has come to the surface--not exactly tempering, but close to it.

I'd also suggest mixing them in with some fresh candy melts during the re-melt.

HTH
Rae

Zombiecakes Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 3:42am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for replying! I went ahead and remelted very gently with a generous splash of oil and had success. I'm just glad I started experimenting weeks before I actually needed the molded pieces.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%