Homemade Fondant?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 1 Mar 2016 , 6:54pm by carolinecakes

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 32

Does anyone make their own fondant? Not MMF. There's a bakery in SW Florida that makes their own and it's excellent! (We had it on vacation) I'm wondering if it's hard to do and if anyone has a good recipe?

31 replies
paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 32

We do our own fondant since here in Venezuela fondat is not for sale.
We do the Cake Blibe recipe x8! each week. I'll be in Miami next month. Where did you had that god cake?.I'd love to go

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 32

[quote="paolacaracas"]We do our own fondant since here in Venezuela fondat is not for sale.
We do the Cake Blibe recipe x8! each week.

Could you post it, please?
TIA

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 32

paola, it was on the other side of Florida, sorry!

paolacaracas Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 32

[quote="Omicake"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolacaracas

We do our own fondant since here in Venezuela fondat is not for sale.
We do the Cake Blibe recipe x8! each week.

Could you post it, please?
TIA

Is it legal to post something from a book?

Omicake Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 32

I don't know for sure, but I've seen lots of recipes from books posted here. Anyway you could pm it , if you wish.Thanks.

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 12:00am
post #7 of 32

I'd like the recipe too! could one of you message it to me please? icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 1:30am
post #8 of 32

ooh I'd like it too in the mean time here is a recipe I found online....still haven't tried it myself (I plan to at the end of Feb. for a cake) says it's Collette Peters' fondant recipe......not sure how TRUE that is!! However it seems simple enough to make

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Rolled%20fondant

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 10:23am
post #9 of 32

I do both make my own and use a commerical one. For family and close friends IU make my own a recipe from where I learnt and then pettinice for any others. I would be interested in the Cake Bible recipe as well.

paolacaracas Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 12:37pm
post #10 of 32

Here it is girls, if I go to jail for posting a copyright recipe please come bail me out icon_wink.gif

Gelatin 1 table spoon
Water ¼ cup
Glucose ½ cup
Glycerin 1 Tbs
Crisco 2 tbs
Powdered sugar 2 pounds
Paola

Omicake Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 12:52pm
post #11 of 32

Thanks so much, paolacaracas.No directions?

paolacaracas Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 1:08pm
post #12 of 32

Sorry icon_redface.gif
Gelatin + water for 5 min. then put in microwave to melt. The add glucose, glycerin and Crisco, put back in microwave to make all soft (this is something not out of the book, but I do it, to make kniding easy) Place sugar on the table, make a hole in the center and add the gelatin mixture. Mix

schildwaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schildwaster Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 1:14pm
post #13 of 32

i make my own fondant. I find it is cheaper to make than buying it. You can find the glucose and glycerine at Michaels, Joanns, AcMoore and with the 40% off coupon is a good deal. You can also flavor it yourself with extracts and have it compliment your cake. The one thing I suggest you do is make it by hand like the directions say with a wooden spoon. It doesn't seem to have the right texture when you use a mixer. Also if you need a lot of a certain color you can mix it with the water, crisco mix and your fondant with be uniform throughout. And your hands don't hurt from kneading. i just use the wilton recipe

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 1:54pm
post #14 of 32

I use a stand mixer for mine - it doesn't seem to be a problem. it doesn't need to mix for very long though, that's for sure.

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 6:14pm
post #15 of 32

Yep, the linked recipe is Colette's recipe, and it's the one I use all the time. Easy and cheap! I always use corn syrup instead of the glucose and it works beautifully.

I just mix mine by hand. It's easier than MMF, certianly!

And speaking as an attorney, recipes are not copyrightable. The text describing how to combine the ingredients is, so write those in your own words to be safe! But it's always ok to post the list of ingredients.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 6:33pm
post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthyrth

And speaking as an attorney, recipes are not copyrightable. The text describing how to combine the ingredients is, so write those in your own words to be safe! But it's always ok to post the list of ingredients.

That's good to know. We were told the same thing when our church put together a cookbook for a fund raiser. I'm glad to hear it from an attorney also thumbs_up.gif

ladybuglau Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 8:56pm
post #17 of 32

thanks paola!
now, someone said you can get the glycerine and glucose at michaels, but how do you get those 40% coupons? and michaels is so far from my house icon_sad.gif

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 9:01pm
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybuglau

how do you get those 40% coupons?

hobbylobby.com click on specials & coupons

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 9:02pm
post #19 of 32

I don't think anyone will get into trouble with Rose. She has a blog too and some of recipes are there. Just search Rose Levy Birenbaum and you will find it. It's interesting and helpful to scratch bakers.

ladybuglau Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 9:05pm
post #20 of 32

thank you Steady2Hands!

FuturamaFanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FuturamaFanatic Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 11:19pm
post #21 of 32

THIS IS JUST WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!! BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE!!
The only fondant I can buy around here is Micheals, and I balk at paying almost $30 for 5lbs of fondant. I've been trying to make my own, MMF is fine, but I've also tried several recipes on this site to make fondant and none have turned out well so far. To gooey, horrible taste, to hard. I'll definintely try out the ones posted.
Thanks again!

FuturamaFanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FuturamaFanatic Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 11:21pm
post #22 of 32

THIS IS JUST WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!! BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE!!
The only fondant I can buy around here is Micheals, and I balk at paying almost $30 for 5lbs of fondant. I've been trying to make my own, MMF is fine, but I've also tried several recipes on this site to make fondant and none have turned out well so far. To gooey, horrible taste, to hard. I'll definintely try out the ones posted.
Thanks again!

Omicake Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 11:32pm
post #23 of 32

Paola, thanks very much for all the trouble. I just read the directions you posted now. Thanks again.

paolacaracas Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 12:20am
post #24 of 32

Omicake, no problem, lo que necesites..

babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 12:43am
post #25 of 32

paolacaracas,,boring,,modthyrth,schildwaster

Not sure who would like to help me with this question icon_confused.gif

How does the taste compare to MMF?
Thanks! icon_smile.gif

paolacaracas Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 2:25pm
post #26 of 32

I have never tried MMF, so I cant help, this Works perfectly fine for more than 10 years now, and all The marshmallow you can get in my country is in pastel colors

babynewyear Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 4:21pm
post #27 of 32

paolacaracas
Thank you for posting a reply> I was hoping it taste less like a marshmallow.
Your cakes are beautiful! I looked through your gallery. They are quite inspiring. I'm still in the practice stages. So I need all the inspritation I can get. icon_smile.gif
Thank you again!

modthyrth Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 4:29pm
post #28 of 32

Honestly, it's pretty similar. After all, marshmallows are made from unflavored gelatin, sugar, corn syrup, water, flavoring, and salt. Sound familiar after reading the fondant recipe?

I find making regular fondant very comparable in taste, cheaper than MMF, and much easier to make and use.

babynewyear Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 5:23pm
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthyrth

Honestly, it's pretty similar. After all, marshmallows are made from unflavored gelatin, sugar, corn syrup, water, flavoring, and salt. Sound familiar after reading the fondant recipe?

I find making regular fondant very comparable in taste, cheaper than MMF, and much easier to make and use.

Thanks guess I should read the packaging icon_redface.gif I will have to try making it from scratch. icon_smile.gif Thank you modthyrth

modthyrth Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 7:14pm
post #30 of 32

Don't feel bad, I got that ingredient list from a homemade marshmallow recipe. Who knows what wacky things they put in commercial marshmallows. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%