Baking In Cans

Decorating By heychele Updated 11 Oct 2005 , 11:22am by sdfgarcia

heychele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heychele Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 3

I will be making a castle cake this weekend and I would like all of it to be cake. I was thinking of making the turrets out of cake baked in cans.
Can anyone give tell me if they've done this and give me any tips on how long to bake etc....? Thanks

2 replies
prettycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycakes Posted 11 Oct 2005 , 4:50am
post #2 of 3

I haven't actually done it but I did see a recipe that called for baking with a can and it called for 2/3 c of batter, bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. I will be making a pumpkin stem this way next week. I hope it works.

sdfgarcia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdfgarcia Posted 11 Oct 2005 , 11:22am
post #3 of 3

I just baked a cake in a can....see my photos for the house picture. I used a giant ravioli can. Be sure you grease and flour well (or use cake release, which is what I did) Grease and flour a flower nail (the biggest you've got) and place it flat side down in the can before you pour your batter in. This will serve as a heating core and will help the cake to bake more evenly.

Fill it up about 2/3, then bake at 325. Bake it a few degrees cooler to keep it from crowning so much in the can. I can't remember how long I baked mine.

Once it's finished baking, BE PATIENT as it cools. If you dump it out too fast, it won't hold it's shape. I took mine out of the oven, let it cool about 20 minutes, then rotated the can about 1/3 and cooled for another 20 minutes. Rotate one more time, let it sit for another 20 minutes, then carefully slide the cake out of the can.

If time allows, I would definitely do this part a couple days in advance in case it messes up. It took me three times to get it right - the first time, I hadn't greased the can up and the cake got stuck on the little grooves. The second time, I took it out of the can too early, and the weight of it just collapsed on itself.

Good luck, and be sure to post your photos!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%