Sequel To "am I Overcharging"

Business By ellepal Updated 13 Oct 2005 , 6:21pm by catty

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 7

Hi....I had such a nice amount of support on the overcharging issue, that I just wanted to report the outcome. (see Am I overcharging post). I got an email yesterday from the cafe owner saying that it would not work out for this time.

She ended up getting the lady to go up to 100.00 dollars, but that is still not enough to cover the expense, the delivery, and the equipment.
(As an aside, this person told me that she only wanted to cater to the upper eschalance of the community....that she wasn't interested in selling a cake to any Tom, Dick, or Harry). I find this ironic when she is allowing herself to be low-balled by a client.

I stuck to my guns about my prices with her, which happen to be extremely low (1.25/slice), plus delivery, rental, and flowers. She then decided she wanted to bake the cakes herself and make the buttercream, because she wanted to do everything with all natural, expensive health-food type ingredients. (she special orders sugar and flour, etc). I just use normal stuff. I told her I'd charge her 15.00/hour just to decorate and that it would probably cost her between 30-45 dollars. Then she did not want me to do the work because she said she would be going out of town. Oh well. She said she'll try for next time.

I'm sure she can find cheap labor, but my time is valuable to me, and if doing something is not financially feasible to me, I'm not going to do it. I've spent bundles of money on cake supplies, lessons, classes, and ingredients, not to mention cake stands, recipe books, and a small kitchen and cake studio remodel. I am usually not this stubborn, but this time, I am. grrr!!! LOL

Forgive my rant...just had to get it out!! Thanks for letting me!!
Ellen

6 replies
Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 7

Good for you!! You should stand your ground. I can't stand people who try to take advantage of good-hearted people.

She deserves what she gets! Someone has a signature here that I love..."good cakes aren't cheap and cheap cakes aren't good!!"

Proud of you!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 7

Good for you! I'm glad you stuck to your guns...I'm tired of people who want a professional, delicious cake for a Wal-Mart/Sam's price! If you want to go cheap then go to Wal-Mart/Sam's, but don't expect us to come down in cost for you!! A lady once told me...If you could do this cake for me and charge me the cost of a Wal-Mart cake that would be great....I told her the only way she could get a cake from me that cheap was if I went to Wal-Mart and bought it for her, and even then I'd have an upcharge for my time and gas.....She wasn't amused icon_sad.gif !

Berta

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 11 Oct 2005 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 7

When her cakes come out crooked...she'll be wishing that she had paid you!

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 12 Oct 2005 , 4:06am
post #5 of 7

If she is so eager to please the customer and GIVE the customer what she wants why cant she just give you your asking price and just accept the fact that shes not gonna profit off this one time..... because if she was actually doing the work I dont think she would negotiate....crazy I say .....

Good for you!!! Im glad you stood your ground.

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 12 Oct 2005 , 4:11am
post #6 of 7

Ellen...Today you are a woman!..lol

catty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catty Posted 13 Oct 2005 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 7

Good for you! A great deal of being able to run a business is knowing when to say, "no".

And did you know, one of the number one reasons small businesses fail is underpricing!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%