I Need Some Advice On Mmf

Decorating By famousamous Updated 11 Oct 2005 , 3:24am by Sory

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 3:28am
post #1 of 11

Im going to make a beach themed cake for Saturday, its going to be my first paid cake and I need some help. Ok, im the Wilton '06 yearbook their is a cake with an umbrella made out of candy melts, I wanted to know if I could make it out of mmf? How hard does it dry? How many days in advance do I need to make it? Can I pipe on it with buttercream after its dry? Will the umbrella hold up or will it "wilt"? I was going to let it dry on a ball to help it keep its shape... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Im so nervous!

Im supposed to make this on 1/4 sheet cake, how big is that? Does anyone know the measurements?

Any help would be greatly apperciated!!!! icon_redface.gif

10 replies
Sory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sory Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 3:55am
post #2 of 11

Hello! Famousamous.
I`ve worked with MMF before and it`s really good, I like it.
My suggestion is to start with the umbrella as soon as you can, because it needs to be dry to decorate, it gets hard good. And also depends on the thickness of the mmf for the umbrellas, for them not to break.
Don`t be nervous, everything is going to be fine.
Here`s also some measurements:

Volume of Special Baking Pans:

PIE PAN: NOTE: If you're using an aluminum foil pie plate, compare its capacity to that of your regular pie pan. An easy way to obtain a general idea of differing volumes is to fill your regular pie pan with water. Then pour the water into the foil pan. Measure the amount of liquid left in your regular pan; reduce the amount of filling by about that much.
TUBE PANS:
7-1/2 x 3-inch "Bundt" tube pan - 6 cups
9 x 3-1/2" fancy tube or "Bundt" - 9 cups.
9 x 3-1/2" angel cake pan - 12 cups
10 x 3-3/4" Bundt or "Crownburst" - 12 cups
9 x 3-1/2" fancy mold (Kugelhupf) - 12 cups
10 x 4" fancy mold (Kugelhupf) - 16 cups.
10 x 4" angel cake pan - 18 cups
MELON MOLD:
7 x 5-1/2 x 4" Mold - 6 cups
SPRING-FORM PANS:
8 x 3-inch pan - 12 cups
9 x 3-inch pan - 16 cups   CHARLOTTE MOLD:
6 x 4-1/4-inch mold - 7-1/2 cups
BRIOCHE PAN:
9-1/2 x 3-1/4-inch pan - 8 cups
SHEET (Jelly Roll) PANS:
Commercial Sizes:
Full sheet pan Standard 26x18 or 24x16x2 - serves 60 to 96
Half sheet pan Standard 18x13 or 16x12x2 - approx. 12 cups - serves 30 to 48
Quarter sheet pan Standard 13x9 or 12x8x2 or 10-1/2 x 15-1/2x2 - approx. 10 cups - serves 12 to 20
Home Sizes:
10-1/2 x 15 -1/2 x 1 - approx. 10 cups
12-1/2 x 17 -1/2 x 1 - approx. 12 cups

RING MOLDS:
8-1/2 x 2-1/4-inch mold - 41/2 cups
9-1/4 x 2-3/4-inch mold - 8 cups

Hope this can help!
Good Luck!
thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

famousamous Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 4:00am
post #3 of 11

Awsome! Thats just what I was looking for! Im going to start my umbrella tonight before I go to bed, how thick should I roll it out?

Thank you so much!

Sory Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 5:01am
post #4 of 11

Hi!
It all depends on how thich you want them, and on the cake, of course.
But I will recommend not too thick, because they`ll damage the cake.
Well, just thick enough, so the fondant won`t break when your working with it. icon_biggrin.gif
Again, good luck!
Bye! thumbs_up.gif

famousamous Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 5:06am
post #5 of 11

Well the icing where Im gonna put the umbrella will be forgiving, Im going to put brown sugar on top of it to look like sand. No smoothness drama with this cake LOL! Thanks for your help!

Sory Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 5:16am
post #6 of 11

Hi! Me again.
You know you can also try some ground cookies, to make them look like sand . I made a "Beach Party Cake", and use cookies(Sandies), it look so real. Everybody loved the cake! It`s just a suggestion! icon_lol.gif

famousamous Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 5:29am
post #7 of 11

Yeah Ive been going back and fourth with that one, Im not sure what would taste better. Im also worried about the brown sugar absorbing some water or something and turning into some weird brown sugar monsta! LOL

Stranger things have happened when Im exspected to make a cake for someone...

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 6:27am
post #8 of 11

ground cookies taste good, but not graham crackers. be careful when you apply the "sand" because once it is on, it's hard to get it off or cover it up. I accidentally got a little bit in the wrong place on my beach cake. It was only for my kid, so no big deal.

Good luck, have fun with the fondant. I want to try that soon.

famousamous Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 11

Ok, I made the umbrella top lastnigh and it seems to be drying ok. One problem I had with it was it kept stretching out, is this normal with mmf?

I also made a little pail, I rolled up a little peice of fondant between my fingers and made some little sea shells. I made some flip flops, Im going to pipe the little toe straps on with buttercream later. The last thing for me to do is make a little towel. Anyone have any suggestions on how to do that? Should I make it a solid color or try and add some kind of stripes to it?

Oh yeah for the sand Im going to use ground up vanilla wafer type cookies. Thanks for all the help on that one, you guys are great!!!!

frogfiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogfiend Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 6:50pm
post #10 of 11

For the towel use your tip # 16 and indent on the towel to give it the terry cloth look. I did one this weekend, time consuming but looks very real.

Sory Posted 11 Oct 2005 , 3:24am
post #11 of 11

No, no really.I haven`t.
Was it too thick? It worked ok for me.
For the color, you know, when you go to the beach you see lots of colors, so different colors would very cool. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%