Need To Know If I'm Crazy??

Decorating By cheekysweets Updated 2 Feb 2007 , 12:24am by kncab

cheekysweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheekysweets Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 19

I started working on a cake shop and I need to know if I'm working to slow. The owner wanted me to ice one half sheet cake smooth and carve a second full sheet into two playing cards and ice that smooth and also carve a huge cake of a running football player with the top arm holding a football to be 3-d on the bottom carved football player made from a full and half sheet cake and crumb coated. I did this all in under 2 hours with cleaning up in between each cake and she was mad that I did not decorate them. I told her I had only two hour of time to give her. I'm I to slow? TIA Maria

18 replies
tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 19

WOW!! I think that is a lot to get done in two hours!!! I would think your boss would be happy with that!

cheekysweets Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 19

I thought so too. Anyone else?

cheekysweets Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:06am
post #4 of 19

Does anyone have an opinion on this I would really like some feedback on this. Good or bad.... I just don't know.

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:14am
post #5 of 19

I can only dream of the day that I could do all of that in two hours!

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:15am
post #6 of 19

Are you serious that this lady did this???
OMG does she think that you are the cakefairy or something. SHEESH

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:17am
post #7 of 19

I want to be just like you when I grow up icon_lol.gif

If she gets that upset over that much work, done in that short of time.
Whew! I hate to see what she'll do if you give her 3 hours!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I just want to come and watch and learn from you!!!!

Lu

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:25am
post #8 of 19

Wow, good for you! I have been working on a simple birthday cake all day!

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:33am
post #9 of 19

Holy Moly! That was fast!! It takes me hours and hours and hours to decorate cakes...LOL

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:40am
post #10 of 19

She sounds like the Cake Nazi icon_surprised.gif

If she keeps this up on a daily basis, you'll burn out and not enjoy what you are doing.

baergarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baergarivera Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:41am
post #11 of 19

WELL OK. cheekysweets WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THAT LADY. HELLLL THAT WAS ALOT OF WORK AND YOU HAD TO CLEAN IN BETWEEN. HELLO ARE YOU CRAZY LADY THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN MY ANSWER, SINCE YOU ARE IN NJ AND I AM IN CT MAYBE I SHOULD TAKE A DRIVE YOUR WAY. FOR REAL. PEOPLE WANT ALOT BUT NOT WILLING TO HELP AND YOU HAD TO CLEAN IN BETWEEN. MAYBE YOU SHOULD TELL HER THAT WHILE YOUR WORK SOMEONE ELSE SHOULD BE DOING THE CLEANING MAYBE IF SHE CAN VOLUNTEER WOULD BE A "GREAT HELP" SHE IS NUTS THAT IS MY OPINION IS NOTHING THAT YOUR DOING. THAT CHICK IS JUST NUTS.

MICHELLE CT WITH A NEW YORK ATTITUE, YES I AM A NEW YORKER.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:41am
post #12 of 19

The only thing that matters is what your boss thinks. Some people would be slower, and others faster. The place I used to work had a quota we had to meet. We had to cut, fill, ice and decorate a cake within 20 minutes. We were given up to 30 minutes for a sculpted or full sheet cake.

With practice, you do get faster...

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:49am
post #13 of 19

Well I spent two hours making bow loops today!

willman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
willman Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:53am
post #14 of 19

holy cats this chick is nuts that is more than anybody I have ever heard of doing in two hours icon_biggrin.gif I think you should go where you are more appreciated!!!!

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:57am
post #15 of 19

While I have never worked in a bakery or made cakes as a profession, I may not be properly trained to comment on this matter. But with the (little) knowledge I do have on cakes I would say "you had a very productive 2 hours and certainly earned your pay and then some!"

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:06am
post #16 of 19

I think you did fine... perhaps she was having a bad day and it landed on you...

I guess it wouldn't be correct to advise her that they sells pills for that now over the counter?

40 minutes per cake with clean up time included... I would have to ask her what her expectations were and perhaps if she could show me a faster way it would be more productive than making statements that made me doubt my ability......

Big hugs to you, I think in the mood that I am in today I would have gotten fired.... icon_lol.gif

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 2:47am
post #17 of 19

I'm sure what you did was great - and especially so if you are new to this.

HOWEVER, if the boss thinks you are moving too slow, you have to try to pick up the pace. Perhaps you can ask her for tips on shortcuts - and what kind of system she has for doing the cakes (assembly lining them works best... doing the same thing repeatedly - fill them all, then ice them all, then decorate).

I'm not trying to criticize you at all... just trying to help. I'd hate to see anyone lose their job, and you are indicating she is not happy with your production rate.

I hope it works out for you. icon_biggrin.gif

cheekysweets Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 3:19am
post #18 of 19

I thank you for all your comments and I don't take anything personally at all (I love brutal honesty) I just did not know if I was not up to a certain standard because I am not professionally trained just taught myself. She admits she can't carve or ice cakes very quickly. She is paying me more money in the store than anyone else because she likes my own work and no one in the shop can do that work. But she can't expect me to decorate..ie draw full detailed pic the one sheet cake had to have four children iced smooth on it with alot of detail and the playing cards had be an ace (not hard) and a king of diamonds with every detail and the 3rd iced smooth with all the detail of a Dallas Cowboys uniform. I don't think any one can do that in two hours. If the cakes were set up to the point I left them than I could have alot of the detail decorating done.

kncab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kncab Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 12:24am
post #19 of 19

I could not achieve in one whole day what you did in 2 hours!!! I say that this lady is thinking only of money, the quicker you work the more money she makes off your cakes.

I hope that it all works out for you. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%